Thursday, July 26, 2007

Short Cut

That Ain't A Rose, That's A Prune

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


In a comment on my recent post Great Hips, Rose, a fellow blogger, It’s The Little Things, asked me recently why roses have to be pruned at an angle - and there is a very simple explanation. Because roses are pruned in winter, the cuts should be carried out at a 45-degree angle - or as close to that angle as possible. If the cuts were horizontal, frost or dew would remain on the stalks, possibly causing them to rot or even impeding new growth. But an angled cut means any moisture simply runs off harmlessly. No residue, therefore no disease.

Click here: Pentax K100D, Shutter speed 1/180, F8, ISO speed 200.

13 comments:

none said...

Oh man, some of the simplest things escape me.

Thanks for the tip!

Keshi said...

wow!

Keshi.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Hammer,

The `How To Prune Roses' manual I studied before writing this post says ``Written by Hammer'' on the cover.

All along, I thought that was you!

No worries, mate. Always happy to help.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Keshi,

I belong to the ``keep it simple'' style of gardening - and the ``keep it simple'' style of life, I guess!

Keep smiling

David

mrsnesbitt said...

This year, for our wedding anniversary we bought a rose instead of me getting a bouquet of flowers. We chose "compassion" Sadly it had a bad start due to the horrendous rain, so it is now having a rest in the greenhouse. Next time you visit my blog be sure to check out Ruth as she is a keen gardener!

D
Thanks for your comment A is for! Welcome to join in anytime, next Wednesday it is "B" (no surprise there then! LOL)

david mcmahon said...

Hi Mrs Nesbitt,

What a lovely idea and what a great choice. We've done that in the past and I have a stunning red rose bush as a result.

Will definitely check out Ruth's blog. Thanks for telling me about her gardening interest.

I have just the shot for an `A' entry picture. Watch this space!

Keep smiling

David

Brian in Oxford said...

And if you sharpen them to a point, David, any nosy insects would be lanced to death....also with the benefit of the water run-off.

RUTH said...

Perfectly explained David :o)

little things said...

Clever title there, buddy!

david mcmahon said...

G'day Brian,

Hadn't thought of that! It would be value-added strategy ...

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Thanks Ruth,

I reckon simple explanations are the best - and I'm just a simple bloke anyway!

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

G'day It'sTheLittle Things,

Thank you so much for that. I do try and make the titles/headlines a bit memorable.

I guess that is something I have a lot of fun with.

Keep smiling

David

Kalyan Panja said...

WoW...a beautifully captured shot!