Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Not, Not, Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door

Dearer, My God, To Thee

George Burns and John Denver in the film `Oh, God!'


The feedback was so swift on the post God Forsaken a few hours ago that my thoughts turned to the Oscar-nominated 1977 movie Oh, God!.

The comedy/fantasy was directed by Carl Reiner and starred the late George Burns as a plaid-shirted, cigar-smoking, plain-speaking God. I’ve always had time for gentle humour and this movie certainly had it in spades. One of God’s more memorable lines in this film was: ``Moses had such a bad memory I had to give him tablets."

The film had an interesting cast, with the late John Denver as the none-too-religious supermarket assistant manager Jerry Landers, Dinah Shore as herself and even Donald Pleasance, whose role was a mere two lines.

One of the many dry quips delivered by Burns in the title role comes when Jerry Landers objects, ``I don’t even go to church.’’ God replies, ``Neither do I’’. And there’s even a sporting reference - ``The last miracle I did was the 1969 Mets. Before that, I think you have to go back to the Red Sea.’’

And when God takes the stand, he takes the oath in memorable fashion - ``I swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me, me.’’


16 comments:

Brian in Oxford said...

Gonzo Gershwins while George Burns....

(bizarre Muppet Show reference from about the same era....)

Bart said...

Don't mention the 69 Mets in my company, thank you. :D

Craver Vii said...

*sigh*
(shaking head)

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Think you already know where I stand on a tongue-in-cheek, gentle poke at God. I think he's big enough to take it. I saw this film some time ago. It made me smile, thanks for reminding me of it!

Chele76 said...

what a great memory your brought up! I loved watching that movie as a kid.... then there was the sequal, Oh God! Book II when the kids were writing "think God" all over town.... ah, the memories :)

GVK said...

David, This has little to do with your post. It's more of a Thank-you note (for having left a comment in my blog).Didn't know how else to contact you. gv.krishnan@gmail.com

none said...

Went and saw it at the movies when I was 8. I loved it back then as I do now.

Like you said, gentle humor. We don't get near enough these days.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Brian,

Great quote. I've always been a fan of the Muppets.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Bart,

Okey-dokey - just forget I ever said that!

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Craver,

You're a very patient man! I can tell you're a parent ...

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Shrink,

Last I spoke to you, you hadn't been turned into a pillar of salt.

As you know, I;ve been thoroughly enjoying your ``conversations'' with God.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Chele,

Thanks for jogging my memory. I'd forgotten about the sequel.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi GVK,

No problem. I enjoyed the ageless quality of writing on your blog.

Nice to hear from you. Hope you got my email.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Hammer,

Thanks for sharing that memory. It's the sort of movie that would always bring a smile to my face.

I'm a big vote for gentle humour. But you knew that already!

Keep smiling

David

Merisi said...

First time I read of this movie, thank you, I put it on my "to watch" list! :-)
(Btw, God has done at least one other miracle since then, he let the Boston Sox win the 2004 Baseball World Series, first time since 1918). *g*

Victorya said...

Ah, happy memory alert! I remember seeing this in a double feature with the Supergirl movie with my father. Wow, I had to be under age 7 for that to have happened.