Friday, July 20, 2007

St Patrick’s Daze

Sure, And It Ain’t Easy Being Green

Church officials in Ireland say Roman Catholic celebrations of St Patrick's Day will come two days early there next year to avoid a conflict with Holy Week. St Patrick's Day is celebrated worldwide on 17 March, but the church has decided to shift its 2008 feast day to Saturday, 15 March. It's the first time the date has been changed since 1940 and the next conflict is not expected until 2160. But the good news is that 17 March next year will also remain an official Irish day off from work.

FOOTNOTE: Patron faint.

6 comments:

Brian in Oxford said...

We always get special dispensations from the archbishop to eat corned beef when St. Patty's Day is on a Friday in Lent.

1. I don't like corned beef.
2. As an insulin-dependent diabetic, I'm exempt from the dietary restrictions on meat and fasting and stuff, anyway!

savannah said...

savannah has the second largest st patrick's day celebration in the us, if not the world, sugar!

*Goddess* said...

Good for them. Now they can drink with a clear conscience, and not worry God will be offended;)

david mcmahon said...

Hi Brian,

Enjoyed that comment - yes, I remember your dramatic post about the time you almost passed out, yet still drove home.

Corned beef? Naaaaah, me neither!

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Savannah,

You're kidding me! I didn't know that.

I would have picked New York ...

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Goddess,

I do like your clear view of these things!

Keep smiling

David