Sunday, July 29, 2007

Lamp Post

Melbourne Gets Really Animated

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


Recognise this lamp? Does it look vaguely familiar, perhaps? Think Pixar, the wonderfully creative animation studio. Yep, you figured that one out pretty quick. It's the lamp that is synonymous with Pixar's work. In recognition of their 20th anniversary, there is an enthralling exhibition of their work, titled Pixar: 20 Years Of Animation at the ACMI which is the Australian Centre For The Moving Image here at Federation Square in Melbourne. Unfortunately, no photographs were allowed indoors at the exhibition itself, but this lamp (I reckon it's about six meters high) is outside Fed Square. That's Flinders Street in the background and the domed building is the State Theatre, with Part of Fed Square visible on the right.

FOOTNOTE: The silence of the lamps.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pixar - wow - I didn't even know they were 20 years old.

That would have been a very cool exhibition!

Victorya said...

I love Pixar! I can't beleive they are 20 years old either. They've officially left their teens.

Bart said...

Ah, Luxo.

Yeah, they've been around quite awhile.

Les Becker said...

I remember the first time I saw that short (on some music video show, I think? Maybe.) - I was SO impressed! I had the chance to see it again very recently and I have to say it was just as impressive. I wish I could have seen that exhibition up close.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Steph,

I was amazed to think they'd been around for two decades.

And what a creative exhibition it was. Brilliant.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Victorya,

Yep, exactly what I said to Steph (above). And what a great growing-up process it has been ...

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Bart-Man,

You would have enjoyed the exhibition. It was beautifully displayed and answered all the questions any fan would have wanted to ask.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Les,

Was it on a music video? Now I'm scratching my head, trying to remember when I first saw it!

Keep smiling

David

Alex L said...

I would love to have that in my backyard.

Merisi said...

I hope this exhibition travels, at least to Vienna! :-)
"Silence of the Lamps", how true, still.
(Have you ever seen that Ikea commercial with the old lamp sitting outside in the rain?)

david mcmahon said...

Hi Your Eminence,

As Pope of Bendigo, mate, this IS your backyard.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Merisi,

I think the exhibition will be taken to quite a few countries.

I really enjoyed it - as you can tell!

Haven't see the IKEA commercial yet. Will look for it online.

Keep smiling

David