Sunday, July 15, 2007

Mike Country, Tis Of Thee I Sing

Never Mind The Area, Wot About Da Volume?

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


Sometimes you shoot one frame and you know, instinctively, that you've got it right. No, there's no arrogance in that statement; I'm not that sort of person. This shot was taken about six weeks ago, when I was photographing a jazz quartet called Mango Juice playing in a Glen Waverley cafe here in Melbourne. It was a warm, sunny afternoon and I suddenly realised the angle and the light were just right to shoot the microphone. The metallic tones just went perfectly with the shades in the background. To see other shots taken that afternoon, go to Everything You Want To Know About Sax and Everest Bass Camp.

Click here: Pentax K10D, Shutter 1/4o, F 4.5, ISO speed 400.

2 comments:

Bart said...

It's relatively sad that I see the microphone and automatically know it's the Shure SM58.

Everyone always uses Shure SM58s. It's the industry standard. Funny thing, we got a tech rider for a performing group and it stated "please provide high quality vocal microphones, ie SM58s," to which we laughed. High quality they are not. Good, serviceable, durable...yes. High quality? If they were, they'd be used to record. :D

david mcmahon said...

Hi Bart-Man,

I think that show technical sophistication and a depth of understanding that I don't possess!

Yes, I'm Shure of that.

I see your point about recording, too.

Keep smiling

David