Thursday, May 31, 2007

Everything You Want To Know About Sax

(But Were Afraid To Ask)

Photographs copyright: DAVID McMAHON

While I spent a few minutes photographing the jazz quartet Mango Juice in full swing (see post titled Everest Bass Camp) I spotted this saxophone sitting in a corner, in a kitbag. The first photograph you see here (above) is exactly how I saw the sax, because I never move an object to get a better view. Then I took the second shot (below) while standing above the instrument. I was pretty happy with this angle, because makes such an unusual shot. One colleague of mine said it reminded her of a swan, while another - who is also a musician - said he could just imagine the shot on an album cover. Maybe one day ....


6 comments:

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Nice one. My brother-in-law is a saxophonist, this would make him smile.

Anonymous said...

I started learning the sax... it was such a cool instrument, but I was travelling too much and ended up giving it up. Looking at these pics makes me regret that.

Ah well, ever forward.

Great shots

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

Coool!

Lisa Simpson plays the sax! Ahhhhh... Leeeeeeesssssssaaaaaaaaa.......

Slurp

O sorry started to dribble a bit there.

The little girl next door plays it, but she must play it very quietly as we don't hear her. We do hear her little sister play the clarinet, and that is painful.

But Mummy used to play the clarinet so she doesn't mind. In fact, Mummy still has hers, but it hasn't been out of its case in 5 years and 8 months. We keep hinting at her to get it out and play it. But she won't. She used to play jazz and everything!

She played sax for a while too, but it hurt her neck. Seriously.

GET THAT CLARINET OUT!

See. No use.

:@{

david mcmahon said...

Hi Carol,

Thank you. I was really proud of that swan-like shot.

Say hi to Sam for me.

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Ozlady,

I cannot play a musical instrument - which is probably why I photograph 'em instead!

So glad you liked the pictures. Great to get feedback.

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi BTBear,

That's right - we're all big fans of the Simpsons. And I reckon Lisa is a legend.

Cheers

David