Thursday, June 28, 2007

Beyond A Shadow Of Drought

Just A Fleeting Moment Of Sunshine

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


This was just a lucky shot. It was taken mid-morning today, under a dark grey sky. Okay, so you're paying attention here and you've seen the incongruity? Right? Yes, it was cloudy and stormy - and there's a clearly defined shadow here. There was a break of about 90 seconds when the sun's rays shone brilliantly and dramatically through a minuscule break in the heavy cloud cover. Luckily I always have the camera with me. I only had time to shoot two frames and the sun disappeared completely. Now, the question of the day - what word best describes the colour of that wall? Aubergine, I'm tippping, but I'd like to know what you think.

11 comments:

Alex L said...

I wish i had a camera with me all the time I'm constantly seeing hawks and other facsinating wildlife on my little treks, it would be nice to be able to have a memory of them.

Anonymous said...

I dont know the colour of the wall but I do know that only you can manage to take a snap like that on a cloudy, stormy day. Cheers to having one's camera with them at all times.... Siddharth

david mcmahon said...

G'day your Eminence,

When the weather gets a bit better, I'll duck out to a walking track in a national park and post some shots of 'roos.

In summer, we used to see them by the dozens at dusk and at night.

I'd love to see shots of your wildlife.

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Siddharth,

Many thanks for that great compliment, but I was just in the right place at the right time. Very lucky.

The floods here in Victoria have been disastrous, with no sign of the weather abating.

Cheers

David

Sam said...

one moment of sunshine and you captured that too!! you are awesome adn so much a camera freak... verye ready like the hunter for the perfect pic!! wonderfully taken, i must say!!

david mcmahon said...

Hi Sam,

No false modesty here, my friend, but I must emphasise that I was just lucky with this shot.

Gippsland is in crisis with floods, an entire town has been evacuated, the State Emergency Service crews answered 450 distress calls on Tuesday night - and I get to capture one brief moment of sunshine.

VERY lucky.

Cheers

David

Kalyan Panja said...

lovely shot!

Unknown said...

mauve. the color of the wall is mauve. although i'm just a goat and my eyes mess with me sometimes.
gerald
(mooseys got fleas, tell everyone)

Brian in Oxford said...

Another vote for mauve here, David.

Does the briefest glimpse of the sun just make you feel teased with, though? Wouldn't you rather yell towards the heavens, "That's it?! Why bother!"

phaseoutgirl said...

David,

The closest colour to describe this wall would probably old rose...

:)

~**Dawn**~ said...

I think I am going to say "dusty rose"...