Monday, June 25, 2007

Take The (Paint) Tube

Some Photographers Love The Rain

Photographs copyright: DAVID McMAHON


It's great taking photographs in rain, because the wet streets open up a whole range of reflection. This shot was taken late on a rainy September night in Quebec City. I had just walked past the Chateau Laurier hotel and the soft colours on the street corner caught my eye. The shot above was taken with a Pentax Optio, while below you can see a different rendering of the same frame. As I showed you in the recent post Easel Come, Easel Go, this is what it would look like as a virtual oil painting.

12 comments:

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Ye Gods, man, WHERE do you find the time??? I love both renderings, it's a super bit of software, isn't it?

Rachelle said...

Oooh! I love playing with programs like that! I have one that I love to work with my photos in the watercolor medium.
Since I can't paint, I have to create somehow!
I like your new header too, very pretty :))
Slainte~
Rachelle
Ps... how do you nominate a blog for your Aussie Awards? I forget....

lorenzothellama said...

Love the shiney rainy pictures. Back from the Azores now. You would just have loved all the rain there!

Lin said...

The Chateau Laurier is lovely even on a dry day but your shot is even more lovely, so soft, so enticing. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

the picture is so beautiful!! at times i wonder, why don't i get hold of such moments to click :(
i'll keep searching....
but amazing catch....

david mcmahon said...

Hi Carol,

I find a few minutes here and there!

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Rachelle,

Would love to see you nominate your blog again. Just leave the url as a comment and leave the rest to me.

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Lorenzo,

You're back! Great. Looking forward to reading about your adventures.

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Lin,

Just lucky. The colours were so enticing. They just sang out: ``Photograph us''!

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Sam,

Relax, buddy. These scenes are everywhere. You just need to look and you'll see them. You, with your creative mind, will see them too.

Cheers

David

Miguel Angel Servellón said...

You have a page and spectacular photographies.
Congratulations

david mcmahon said...

Hi Miguel,

Thanks for visiting and taking the trouble to leave a comment.

I'm glad you like the site and the photographs.

Cheers

David