Saturday, June 30, 2007

Rite Of Reply

I Dream Of Genie

Righty-o, then, here's the new weekend game, as I promised. I ask you a simple question and you post your reply as a comment. On Monday I collate all the answers and post them here, with links to all your sites.

If a genie appeared and said you could be anyone you wanted for 24 hours, who would you choose?

A wide range of wonderful responses to that question:

Shrink Wrapped Scream: ``A grown-up Hermione (of "Harry Potter" fame) - can you imagine anyone more awesome?''

Rambling Traveler: ``I wish I could have a good singing voice. I'm the one who only sings when no one else is around.''

Helena: I'd go back in time (you didn't say I couldn't!) and be a close friend of Queen Elizabeth I. She has always fascinated me, and this way I'd get to know her close-up. My only stipulation is that it be when they were both young. Toothache is bad enough in the 21st century: I don't want to experience it in the 16th!

BTBear: I'd be Lisa Simpson's Bear, and she'd cuddle me at night.

Dilly: Dilly be Puff, Magic Wagon. Live by sea. Go paddle. Fwolic in mist.

Animals With Opinions: I would be moosey, then I would walk out in front of a semi truck (That's from Gerald, who doesn't always see eye-to-eye with Moosey).

Cecilia: I'd like to be Maria in `The Sound of Music', because then I can sing, dance and get my beloved at the same time! That'd be so cool...

Cuckoo: I would like to be a much smarter version of Tom. Now that I know all the tricks of that little brat Jerry, I think I would give him an equal fright!

Jenera Healy: I would so ask to be President of the United States but with unlimited 'powers'. Oh the things I'd get done.

Pope Terry: Well, it's a tough one. It would probably have to be Rasputin ... he seemed like a cheerful bloke.

Papoosue: No one special, just someone who was really happy.

OzLady: Robert A. Heinlein's best friend - he was an awesome gentleman with such an amazing mind. Or Albert Einstein - he was a cheeky genius.

Fat Hairy Bastard: I'd be myself, my current self, and pop back to the 1930s and see my dad as a kid, picking cotton in Texas during the depression. My granddad, who died long before I could get to know him, would walk over to see who this large stranger was, talking to his son. I'd take him by the shoulder, and I'd say "Hey, let's go fishing!", and for some reason, unknown to himself, he'd decide to come along. We'd sit by the river, watching bobbers sway in the shallow waves, and I'd tell him about himself. He'd know from the things I told him that I was serious. He'd look at me in a strange way, and I'd tell him not to worry, that his kids were going to grow up to be happy and successful. I'd win over his confidence, and find a way to eventually say "I know all this, because I'm your grandson"... At which point he'd laugh, and we'd hug each other tightly, finish the day with a few beers, and I'd come back to my own time, happy to wait for the day when I'll see him again. I can't wait to see all of them again. I miss them a lot.

Siddharth Khandelwal: I would be Kimi and drive the F2007 all day long. Take a few 360 turns, hit the tyre walls, do all the fancy stuff. Thats 12 hours and the next 12 I would want to be Darren Heath with a Canon EOS MarkIII and take snaps of all these F1 cars wizzing past. Now I really want a genie.

Who Dat Dare Pokah: I would choose to be my two-year-old daughter to remember the sheer joy and wonderment at discovering something new every day.

21 comments:

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Easy-peasy! A grown-up Hermione (of "Harry Potter" fame). Can you imagine anyone more awesome??

david mcmahon said...

Hi Carol,

First in, best dressed! Yes, I can see you in that role. Thanks for the quickest of quick responses.

How's the writing going?

Cheers

David

Stacy said...

I'm so bad at these things. There really isn't anyone I want to be. I would like to make a wish that I could have a good singing voice, though. I'm the one who only sings when no one else is around.

David... I noticed the home link on your title in the header, it works great! (was this already discussed in another comments section and I missed it?)

david mcmahon said...

Hi Stacy,

Nice one - my grandfather, an acclaimed tenor, used to sing for the Viceroy but I think the genes skipped aside when it was my turn!

The home link on the title page is all Terry's (of Anglo-Indian Portal and Terry's Playpen fame) work. He picked up on the comment you left last weekend, and since I was spending most of my time at the hospital, he jumped in and fixed it for me.

I wouldn't even have know where to start. Now you know why he's my oracle!

Cheers

David

Stacy said...

I don't want to hijack your comments, but I'm wondering if Terry has a simple explanation of what he did for this technically challenged person who is trying not to bother her brother all the time.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Stacy,

No worries at all. You're not hijacking my comments and even if you were, I would have no objection at all. That's what friends are for, after all.

Yes, Terry said he was going to post a simple explanation at Terry's Playpen on exactly how he did it. Have not had time to check it, but he was going to do it as a tutorial.

Please let me know how you go ...

Cheers

David

Mrs Mac said...

I'd go back in time (you didn't say I couldn't!) and be a close friend of Queen Elizabeth 1st. She has always fascinated me, and this way I'd get to know her close-up.
My only stipulation is that it be when they were both young. Toothache is bad enough in the 21st century: I don't want to experience it in the 16th!

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

I'd be Lisa Simpson's Bear, and she'd cuddle me at night.

:@}

DILLY said...

MWEAH!

Dilly be Puff, Magic Wagon.

Live by sea.
Go paddle.
Fwolic in mist.

MWEAH!
Dilly like!

Stacy said...

Thank you, David! I will watch for the tutorial.

Helena, that is a great pick! I didn't even think about going back in time. I love the idea of being the Queen's close friend.

Unknown said...

i would be moosey. then i would walk out in front of a semi truck!
gerald

phaseoutgirl said...

I'd like to be Maria in the Sound of Music, because then I can sing, dance and get my belovd at the same time! That'd be so cool...

Cuckoo said...

I would like to be Tom with a much more smarter version.
Now that I know all the tricks of that little brat Jerry, I think I would give him an equal fright !

Jenera said...

I would so ask to be president of the united states but with unlimited 'powers'. Oh the things I'd get done.

Alex L said...

well its a tough one... It would probably have to be Rasputin... he seemed like a cheerful bloke.

Papoosue said...

No one special, just someone who was really happy.

Anonymous said...

Robert A. Heinlein's best friend - he was an awesome gentleman with such an amazing mind.

Or Albert Einstein - he was a cheeky genius.

FHB said...

I'd be myself, my current self, and pop back to the 1930s and see my dad as a kid, picking cotton in Texas during the depression. My granddad, who died long before I could get to know him, would walk over to see who this large stranger was, talking to his son. I'd take him by the shoulder, and I'd say "Hey, lets go fishing!", and for some reason, unknown to himself, he'd decide to come along. We'd sit by the river, watching bobbers sway in the shallow waves, and I'd tell him about himself. He'd know from the things I told him that I was serious. He'd look at me in a strange way, and I'd tell him not to worry, that his kids were going to grow up to be happy and successful. I'd win over his confidence, and find a way to eventually say "I know all this, because I'm your grandson"... At which point he'd laugh, and we'd hug each other tightly, finish the day with a few beers, and I'd come back to my own time, happy to wait for the day when I'll see him again. I can't wait to see all of them again. I miss them a lot.

Anonymous said...

I would be Kimi and drive the F2007 all day long. Take a few 360 turns, hit the tyre walls, do all the fancy stuff. Thats 12 hours and the next 12 I would want to be Darren Heath with a Canon EOS MarkIII and take snaps of all these F1 cars wizzing past. Now I really want a genie... Siddharth

John said...

I would choose to be my 2 year old daughter to remember the sheer joy and wonderment at discovering something new every day.

Sam said...

Oh I would choose to be myself with ability to whatever I want... you know, making things happen my way!! Now isn't that the best thing??