Friday, June 29, 2007

A Dome Away From Home

Wanna Run Away To The Circus?

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


This was taken one afternoon last week. I was at a traffic light and shot this through my windscreen in fairly ordinary light conditions, so it loses some sharpness and clarity. But I was fascinated by the conflicting styles here. On the one hand, there was the big top of Cirque Du Soleil; on the other hand, there were the distinctive white curves of the sliding roof above Margaret Court Arena. A couple of days later, when the light was better, I drove past to take another shot - and the circus had gone. No big top, no big nuthin'. I'm so glad I followed my instinct the first day and reached for the camera.

FOOTNOTE: The perfect career for clown princes.

5 comments:

Victorya said...

lol at the 'wanna run away with the circus' line, is it bad if I actually did that?

I love the contrast of the two domes, good thinking on taking that shot!

david mcmahon said...

Hi Victorya,

Running away to the circus certainly worked for Princess Stephanie of Monaco!

Thanks for your comment on the contrast - luckily I always have a camera with me, because the traffic lights changed soon after.

Cheers

David

Dr Zibbs said...

David, please post pictures of what we call in America "Circus Freaks".

david mcmahon said...

G'day Zibbsy,

Wonderful to hear from you again. Hope the serfs' uprising has left you unscathed.

Will deliver on your order ...

Cheers

David

FHB said...

Last circus I saw was in Moscow in 83. Hilarious time, in a small indoor ring. Funniest thing was a camel that leaned into the crowd tried to kiss people.