Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Swearing-In Ceremony

McEnroe Was Such A Well-Heeled Champion

After I posted the earlier picture caption about my gardening boots (see below) I remembered a great ad slogan for Nike, back in the days when John McEnroe was carving up every opponent on Wimbledon's historic grass courts. I was a tennis writer at the time and jeepers, it was a great era to be reporting a sport I had played since I was a kid. I guess I got to see the golden era, the rivalries between McEnroe-Borg-Connors, Navratilova-Evert-Graf, Lendl-Becker-Edberg at close quarters. Of course, the most outspoken was the superbly talented McEnroe. And the Nike slogan was so simple yet so memorable: ``John McEnroe swears by them''.

9 comments:

FHB said...

That was the best, best, best era of tennis. Can't even pay attention now.

Anonymous said...

FHB - I totally agree!!!

McEnroe was such a legend when I was growing up - and swearing was that secret thing that you did with your friends... so he was the average kid's hero as he swore and abused figures in authority (aka umpires).

My mum was so upset with that one. We were banned from watching him sometimes!

Anonymous said...

sorry - interrupted on that last comment. My Mum was so upset with him and his swearing...

david mcmahon said...

Hi FHB,

It was my very great privilege to see McEnroe at the peak of his powers.

Strangely enough, I was one of only about six journalists who sat courtside at Centre Court, Wimbledon in 1985 when he - as defending champion - got taken apart by Kevin Curren. That was the end of the McEnroe era and most of the press corps were at other courts.

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Steph,

I hear you loud and clear! Your Mum wasn't the only parent who did so.

Cheers

David

Bart said...

I bet he could have sold as many Nikes as Jordan did if he would have thrown his shoes at the bench judge once.

Fletch said...

Fond memories of a golden age, indeed.

Another one:

Fledgling BBC reporter to Chrissie Evert after she'd lost Wimbledon to Martina for the third consecutive time (I think), "Are you going to retire now, Miss Evert?"

"Why?" asks Chrissie, "I am still ranked the second best player in the world. If I retire what will the others do?"

Exit, stage-left, suitably chastised reporter!

david mcmahon said...

Hi Bart-Man,

That the one promotional gimmick he never quite got into!

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi El Tel,

What a great story! Often the circus at Wimbledon was the fringe reporters' activities!

Cheers

David