Friday, June 15, 2007

Star Tech

Putting Photographic Memory To Good Use

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


I normally drop everything when I get a question from anyone who says he/she is new to blogging. This question is from a Melbourne-based blogger, Rudy.

Can I use photographic prints on my blog?

Want the good news, Rudy? That's a yes. If you have (or have access to) a scanner, this is certainly possible. Any document or print can be scanned, provided it can fit on a normal flatbed scanner. The prices of scanners have dropped drastically, and a lot of the home printers on offer also come with scanning facilities.

If you have any difficulty with the actual scanning process, let me know what imaging software you have on your computer and I can ``talk'' you through the steps. Once you've scanned the pictures you want, I'd suggest saving them to a common folder as well as backing them up on a USB drive or an SD memory card.

From this point on, you'd just have to click the ``add image'' icon when writing a new post on your blog. Then select the location (desktop, folder or removable storage device) and click on the image you want and hit the ``upload image'' tab.

The image I've attached here is one I took with a Canon EOS 3000 film camera. It was taken in the Old Town section of beautiful Quebec City, Canada. I was walking down a street when I noticed the figure of a Spanish conquistador. It was made of fibreglass, but stopped me in my tracks because it was so imposing. I shot it from this angle to get a good view of the amazing patterns on the ancient helmet , as well as to include the modern streetscape.

It was a difficult shot to take because the figure was in shadow while the background was in bright sunlight. But it shows you that even prints can be scanned and uploaded to a blog. Digital cameras are brilliant, but never throw away your prints.

10 comments:

Bart said...

What the bejesus are you doing up at 4:30 in the morning, your time?

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

I'd be out of business if I couldn't scan old prints on my blog!

The only thing I've found difficult to post is .gif files...which seem to have to be hosted somewhere else besides Blogger before they will animate!

Anonymous said...

Hey david, just want to let you know that me and The Chosen One will be taking a break from blogging. Didn't want to make it look like we just dissapeared. G'luck on your blog.

-Viper

Anonymous said...

nice pic. loved the designs on the hat(?)

useful info.

cheers

(clarification: that article about crosswords was by my friend mr.vishwanathan)

Unknown said...

on the topic of scanning prints, ok it's completely off topic but where do you go to get prints of your painting? obviously it can be done(uh, mona lisa print) but who does that sort of thing. i imagine, in my warped goat head, a giant printer that rolls the canvas(squish, crack)through a giant printer and then all you have left is prints and the painting is destroyed. strangely enough i have had a few inquiries about my "animals in suits" and i can't just give up the actual painting. good lord i'm rambling. i thought though if i could make prints then the people asking could have what they wanted without me having to give the actual painting away.
gerald
my human found me a stunt double!!!

david mcmahon said...

Hi Bart,

Early start on the newspaper I work for. Good way to start the day!

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Mushy,

There is so much beauty in old prints - and in your blog.

Re: .gif files - have you ever thought of checking out options with Terry Fletcher (see Terry's Playpen link on my blogroll).

Ya never know ...

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Viper,

Thanks for letting me know. Good luck to you and TCO - and let me know when you decide to return.

Thanks for your good wishes and do be in touch.

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi RK,

Glad you liked the picture. Yes, the pattern on the helment was pretty amazing.

Thanks for the clarfication on the xword article. I enjoyed the post.

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

HI animals with opionions,

You never ramble, my friend. Ah, so it was YOU that painted the Mona Lisa.

Can I have your autograph, please?

Cheers

David