Sunday, June 10, 2007

Fluke, Skywalker

V-Dub Landspeeder Is No Ordinary Folks' Wagon

Wanna buy a landspeeder? Not quite sure what it is? It's basically a rocket car - and it looks like something out of `The Thunderbirds'. And at the moment it's languishing in a police impound lot in Florida. I read about the landspeeder an hour ago, in a post by Alex Nunez at Autoblog. The Autoblog post credits StarWars.com which in turn says Cedar Grove Police Chief Guy Turcotte discovered the unique vehicle there when he began work at the station a year ago.

``Coke One'', as it was originally known, was actually a custom vehicle built by the Coca-Cola Bottling Company back in the early 1980s for use in parades and special events. Chief Turcotte says the landspeeder will be roadworthy once the '71 VW engine is fixed by a collector with some know-how. Strangely enough, it was passed in at auction the first time, but we're tipping there'll be a ``lot'' of interest in this auction.

FOOTNOTE: In for a penny, in for an impound!

4 comments:

FHB said...

Cool, a speeder that really rolls? Surprised some Star Wars fan hasn't snapped that up already. And I was tickled by your referance to the thunderbirds. LOVED that show when I was a kid, when I lived in England for a time. And I've actually been to your home country a few times, back in the early 90s when I was boating with the Navy. Sydney once and Perth/Freemantle a few times. Beutiful country. Hope to go back one day. Seen you over at Mushy's. Thanks for comin' around. Cheers.

david mcmahon said...

Hi FHB,

I couldn't believe it got passed in at the first auction! Yep, the Thunderbirds was one cool phase of growing up.

Would love to read your reminiscences about Aus, on your blog - I'm sure you'll have some great yarns to tell, in your inimitable style!

Great to hear from you.

Cheers

David

Lin said...

I am also stunned that there were no takers at the first auction - unless there was also a hefty reserve minimum bid in place or simply a very limited local audience. I know plenty of people who would love to have it around if only for its eccentricity, perhaps self included. I have one friend who actually dreamed that he was the proud new owner of an Oscar Meyer Weiner mobile and cruising gleefully through town with it.

This amazing tub of a thing looks as though they exhumed the designer of the Crosley to get things rolling. Thank you so for sharing this amazing bit of news!

And many thanks for the encouragement by the mention of my blog in your weekly list. While it is written primarily for the edification of friends and family who understandably worry, it feels
absolutely wonderful to know that other people enjoy it as well.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Lin,

Exactly - I couldn't believe that it got passed in either. I'm tipping there'll be a lot of interest this time, though!

I'd love to take it for a spin.

I really enjoyed your blog - so it's no surprise that it's on the list.

Keep smiling

David