Thursday, April 20, 2006

This Is No Jumbo Jest

(Seeing eye-to-eye with a bull elephant)


Photo copyright: DAVID McMAHON

The photograph above was taken at the Elephant Safari Park in Bali, Indonesia, in January 2000. No long lens. No telephoto gizmos.

I should also point out that it is not a cropped frame. Nor has the image been digitally enhanced in any way.

Just me, a camera and an elephant.

Techinically, not a great picture, but hey, when was the last time you got so close to an elephant? This was the third or fourth in a series of shots and he was just starting to spark up and show an interest in the mechanical noises that the camera was making.

And me? I was just trying not to breathe too loud, just to ensure I didn't do anything to annoy the old fella.

By this time, he was looking pretty much straight at me and it's a little bit disconcerting when an animal fixes its beady little eyes on you. I'm no mahout, and I wasn't game to try his patience.

Time to get outta there? Eye, eye, sir.

No comments: