Thursday, June 15, 2006

One Good Churn Deserves Another


Milking it for all it's worth
Photo copyright: DAVID McMAHON
It was a vivid splash of colour on a rainy, grey afternoon in the little town of Gravenhurst, in Muskoka, Canada. I drove in, found a parking spot and got myself organised, with plenty of time to spare, as I was booked on a cruise on the RMS (Royal Mail Ship) Segwun. The cruise is one of the top tourist atttractions in Canada, so I ensured I had plenty of time up my sleeve. I walked down the street, within sight of the wharf where the historic Segwun and her sister vessel, the Wenonah, were berthed. I spent about half an hour shooting film and digital photographs - despite the persistent rain, low cloud and bad light. (Hey, isn't that the real challenge when you're shooting outdoors?) Then I walked up to this antique shop, drawn to the bright array of milk churns lined up on an old wagon. I guess it just goes to show that if you're willing to brave the elements, there's always an unusual shot just around the corner.

No comments: