Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Parsley, Stage, Rosemary (And Time)

Poem Says It All, For Rhyme And Reason


Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON

These two figures caught my eye in a Muskoka shop called Christmas Thyme that I have mentioned a couple of times on this blog. Being a Southern Hemisphere person, I immediately wondered about the significance of the figures. Of course, it was my first introduction to the 1961 poem by an English woman, Jenny Joseph. The theme of the light-hearted poem revolves around growing old in idiosyncratic style and it seems her poem is known by many titles. Some people know it as ``Warning'', while other titles include ``When I Am An Old Woman'', ``The Purple Poem'', ``Old Woman'', ``I Shall Wear Purple'', or simply ``Purple''. Because responsible bloggers adhere to international copyright laws, I shall not reproduce the poem here, but I can direct you to WhenIAmAnOldWoman.com and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

No comments: