Sunday, October 15, 2006

Calcutta - My City Of Joy

Back Where It All Began

After two flights (on Friday the 13th, no less) and one quick connection in Singapore, here I am in Calcutta, the city where life began for me. Mid-October is an interesting period in this amazing city, because the Pujas are over and the nights are starting to draw to a close much quicker than before. The weather is still very warm, in the mid-30s range, and believe me when I say it is humid and muggy. But the cooler nights are not far off, as this great, ancient metropolis - in part, the scene for my first novel, `Vegemite Vindaloo' - becomes enveloped in the slow embrace of winter. The sight of Ambassador taxis (based on the 1950s Morris Oxford) are a comforting familiarity from my own fortunate childhood, yet they seem a strange anachronism in a city that is riding the subcontinental econonomic boom. I am, of course, armed with my camera, and I intend to capture images that showcase the city's beauty. Grime, crowds, poverty? Yes, of course they exist, and co-exist, here. But there is so much to see that is heart-warming and inspiring. Watch this space.

3 comments:

david mcmahon said...

Hi Shakila,
Reading you loud and clear. The more Calcutta changes, the more it stays the same. There are so many amazing facets to the city that have appeared in the past two years, yet there is a comforting familiarity to it all.
Cheers
David

Anonymous said...

David, it's lovely to read your home town prose, it yanked me straight out of my comfortable Melbourne life, through the computer monitor and onto the streets of Calcutta next to you. It's the first place I visited when I travelled India more than 10 years ago and the pictures of that city remain just as vivid as when I landed all that time ago.
Stay safe. John.

david mcmahon said...

G'day John,
Very touched to read your comment. Thanks for keeping an eye on my blog.
I shall do your bidding and stay safe, very safe, indeed.
Take care
David