Thursday, October 19, 2006

Have You Lost Your Marble?

Then Go Look For It At The Victoria Memorial

While the Taj Mahal is universally recognised as one of the most stunning buildings in the world, I must point out that the Victoria Memorial, that archetypal symbol of Calcutta, is probably just as impressive. For those with a historical bent, I need not point out that Queen Victoria (1837-1901, if I remember correctly) was of course Empress of India. The Victoria Memorial, built from stunning white marble, is a must-visit, must-see, must-photograph sight.

The cabbies and the bus conductors have always referred to it as the ``Toria Moria'' and when I was growing up here in Calcutta, we simply referred to it as the ``VM''. I got some great shots yesterday - including four frames shot from the fast lane of the Park Circus flyover. I'm not sure if it was a brave effort or simply foolhardy, but it just gave me a unique perspective of the building. It's been photographed by millions of people, but I honestly think I was one of the first to shoot its distinctive, high central dome, topped by the graceful bronze angel, from a vantage point that was roughly the same height.

The city is cleaner, greener and more beautiful than when I last visited three years ago. Between Chowringhee and the Victoria Memorial is a new swathe of parkland. Elliot Park and Citizens' Park are beautifully landscaped, with shrubs and trees. It is a park vista that would not be out of place in a city like Paris. It is heart-warming to see that Calcuttans have been fired by fresh pride in their great city.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting. Glad to know that Calcutta (Kolkata) has improved over time. Btw, seeing the mention of Queen Victoria (1837-1901) made me want to look her reference up. I thought she had died at a ripe old age (by the standards of her era, that is.) Sure enough she was born in 1819 and died in 1901. But you were referring to her reign of course, that lasted more than 63 years, from 1837 till 1901.
-NP-er Sandip Madan