Tuesday, October 03, 2006

What's The Matter, Horn?

Peak-Hour Traffic? No Worries Here, Mate


Photograph copyright: AIJAZ QAIDAR
This picture was emailed to me about an hour ago by a school friend, Aijaz Qaidar, one of many talented blokes to graduate from North Point, Darjeeling. When he was in Melbourne three months ago, I told him he should be producing travel documentaries, but he just laughed. Here is his dramatic shot of the Matterhorn. In his own words: ``It was a mad dash to Montreux and Zermatt where I took a cable car up to the base of the famed Matterhorn. I hiked up a thousand feet from the cable-car drop off point to blend in to the fresh Swiss mountain air and the clouds that were beginning to shroud the base of the majestic mountain.'' Majestic mountain, indeed. And a majestic photograph too.

6 comments:

Fletch said...

Amazing photograph, indeed. More remarkable for the fact that there isn't even a reference point for size and aspect, and yet you get the sublime feeling of 'vastness'.

Anonymous said...

Amazing photo! Makes me want to go.

david mcmahon said...

Yes, Fletch,
You've hit the nail on the head - again.

david mcmahon said...

Well, I think we have succeeded in giving Aijaz the necessary impetus. Here is part of an email just received from him ...


``Hi David,
Thanks for the email and the inspiration. I will
consider doing the documentary from some 12 hours of
footage. One problem, the airline has lost my box with
90 per cent of the footage, and it has been 96 hours since
arriving and I am still doing battle with them.''

david mcmahon said...

Obviously, Aijaz's picture of the Matterhorn has had an effect. I have just received this email from Ambereen:

``YES to supporting Aijaz! Though he will never take a lil coz sis' opinion seriously!!! But your book sounded interesting..., is there an excerpt anywhere on the net... thanks!''

Ashok Sadhwani said...

Hi Aijaz

Didn't know you were such a great photographer and a documentarian. We weren't able to talk much that time we met at the reunion. Do send me an email and let me know where in the U.S. you are and what else you've been up to.

Ashok
Los Angeles