Saturday, October 28, 2006

Victoria Cross-Connection

We Are Not Bemused

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON

My attention to detail ain't what it used to be. In one of the posts during my time in Calcutta, I made mention of ``Queen Victoria (1837-1901)'' but I should have clarified that those were the years of her reign, not of her lifetime. Got home yesterday to find this comment from Sandip Madan, who was three years senior to me at North Point and is as perceptive as he always was.

``Interesting,'' Sandip said, ``Glad to know that Calcutta (Kolkata) has improved over time. Btw, seeing the mention of Queen Victoria (1837-1901) made me want to look her reference up. I thought she had died at a ripe old age (by the standards of her era, that is.) Sure enough, she was born in 1819 and died in 1901. But you were referring to her reign of course, that lasted more than 63 years, from 1837 till 1901. ''

It's a good thing my friends keep me on the path to righteousness, isn't it! I thought it would be the ideal opportunity to mention this here, and also to post the first of several photographs I shot during my time in Calcutta. The statue, of course, is of Queen Victoria, who was not only Queen of England but also the Empress of India. The picture was taken, appropriately enough, at the Victoria Memorial.

No comments: