Saturday, October 07, 2006

Who's Yo Daddy, Er, Caddy?

It's The Fin Edge Of The Wedge



All photographs copyright: DAVID MCMAHON
This unusual sight caught my eye this afternoon. There, in a shopping centre car park in Coburg (that's in Melbourne's northern suburbs) was a big, black Cadillac with fins that protruded well beyond the rear sections of all the other sedans. The comparison in size made an interesting sight, as you can see. I took a couple of pictures and then the owner rocked up, so we got talking and I asked if he could give me a few seconds to photograph the rear of the car. Sportingly, he agreed and I took this next frame .....


You could tell it wasn't Aussie. Even if you were not a revhead, the sheer size of the vehicle drew attention and turned heads. I was a bit worried that I was going to be run over while I knelt in the car park and took this frame. Then the owner and I shook hands before I pointed out the incongruous position of the car, in relation to a nearby advertising hoarding that you can actually see in the first picture .....


The hoarding features Ronn Moss, from The Bold And The Beautiful, from a popular television ad. The slogan for the ad campaign - featuring Moss as a wannabe Australian cattle drover in Akubra and Drizabone and revelling in an almost-Aussie accent - is ``You can tell when it's not all Aussie.'' Very apt for the unusual sight in the car park.

I guess you could say the sight of the Caddy was really a case of a ``left-hand deriver''.

No comments: