Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Amitabh Bachchan Fans Are One-Eyed

They Seek Him Here, They Seek Him There


Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON
He is Sherwood College's most recognisable alumnus. His name - surely I don't need to tell you - is Amitabh Bachchan and he has dominated the Indian film industry for decades. I took this photograph of his (partially obscured) face on a huge advertising hoarding during my recent 10-day trip to Calcutta.
I saw the hoarding while we were negotiating our way through the huge traffic circle at Park Circus and lined it up as quickly as possible, while leaning out of the car window. I had to wait for a mini-bus to move and just had time to shoot a solitary frame.
It's an interesting shot, because if you look at the right-hand side, you'll see the start of the slogan for the Financial Express: ``Read to Lead''. Very apt, isn't it? And the Financial Express hoarding, coincidentally enough, has the saffron, white and green or the Indian flag - in almost the same dimensions.
It would be nice to say I did this deliberately, but I must confess that it was a sheer fluke.
Look out for: The forthcoming blogpost on former Sherwoodians, Amitabh and Ajitabh Bachchan and the McMahon brothers.

No comments: