Thursday, November 23, 2006

Ingot We Trust

Open-And-Shutter Case On Golden Pond

Photograph copyright: ALLAN COOK

What can you say when somene sends you a picture as good as this? Folks, it is my very great pleasure to introduce the great Muskokan, Allan Cook. He's an all-round good bloke, marketing manager of Muskoka Tourism and he sings with the Muskoka Men of Song (he's going to complain bitterly about that revelation) and he loves this amazing part of Ontario, Canada, as much as I do. I'll let him tell the story of this great photograph. In his words, then ...

``It was taken over seven years ago on a trip through Algonquin Park. We'd been following (by canoe) the trail of ghost towns left in the park from the years when the Canadian National Railway wound its way through the park's northern reaches and the lumber industry was booming. We had started out from campground among the remnants of the once prosperous town of Kiosk, and this was taken on Cauchon Lake on our first night of the five-day trip.

``I had recently been bitten by the shutter bug, and had just bought a second-hand SLR and I'd brought it along on the trip. We were treated to fantastic sunsets almost every night, and this first one was an especially brilliant shade of gold. I had been trying to capture it and our canoe in a shot together, and had been playing around with all sorts of settings to try to get it right. I toyed with the shutter speed, I fiddled with the aperture, and I wrote down which settings I used on which shots. For one shot, I accidentally forgot to turn off the flash, and I noted `NG (no good) - Forgot flash on'. Of course, that no good photo is the one you're looking at. None of the rest turned out. Thanks again for this honour!''

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a really great snap. One of the best I have seen - Siddharth

david mcmahon said...

I knew you'd like it, Siddharth. Muskoka is a really stunning place, and Allan has captured it beautifully with this shot.

Anonymous said...

It's not a bad shot, I guess. I'm still searching for the perfect canoe/sunset picture though, which is an enjoyable pursuit!

Thanks for posting this, David, and thanks for all your kind words and encouragement.

And anyone who wonders what the Muskoka Men of Song sound like will just have to come to Muskoka and lend us an ear...

Anonymous said...

(I suppose I should have signed that last message...)

Allan Cook

david mcmahon said...

My pleasure, Allan.
I know you're searching for the perfect canoe/ susnet shot, but this one of yours will be hard to beat - even by you.
Sign me up for the next concert tour by the Muskoka Men of Song.
Cheers
David

Anonymous said...

Hi David,

Please tell your friend that this is one of the most beautiful pictures of a sunset I have ever seen...he captured the light and the tone perfectly. Wonderful!

cheers,

Cecilia

david mcmahon said...

You're right, Cecilia,
Allan is a very modest man, but I think it's a memorable shot - which is exactly why I displayed it. The colours and textures are so good, they make you think you're looking at an oil painting. Bravo, Allan.
Cheers
David