Thursday, November 23, 2006

Barmy Harmy

That Delivery Musta Been The Policeman's Ball

Has there ever been a shoddier first delivery in a Test match? I think Steve Harmison is a wonderful bowler who has a great future for England, but come on, did he bowl that first delivery of the Ashes series in Brisbane today to the batsman - or to second slip? I think even the Barmy Army were gobsmacked by that delivery. Let me know what you think. Maddi, you listenin'? Mudar, Mark, Binks and Harsha, are you blokes paying attention? Add your comments here and tell me what you think ....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sorry down-under,
but am ever so
keenly watching the
SA/India series now.
[ulterior motives but of course,
one look at my surname
will tell you all!]
Harmison is a good bowler David,
must've been nerves.
Cut them some slack,
they're without
Vaughn and Trescothick [spellcheck?]
Would've loved to hear what
Boycott had to say about that
first ball!!!
Keep us posted on the ashes David.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Madi,
Watching the SA-India series? Looks like you won't be busy for long (91 all out - what can I say except that they are a much better side than that). Okay, so ``nerves'' is your diagnosis for Harmison, then. My cricket coach once told me I had a nerve too - a nerve to think I could be a fast bowler!
Cheers
David

david mcmahon said...

Just received this email from a longtime friend, fellow cricket nut and former colleague, Mark Fuller of `The Age' newspaper in Melbourne. (Just for the record, he played cricket alongside Glenn McGrath and Greg Matthews - and of course Michael J. Vaughan, Gerry Carman and yours truly!!)

In Mark's own words: ``Well, unless you can recall one that went to third slip, I'd suggest it would at least be in the grand final for worst first ball of a Test series. That said, I once began a match with a ball that went to the wicketkeeper on the full (and he was standing back a fair way). It wouldn't have been so bad had it not been a NSW under-19 selection trial. And so cricket's loss was journalism's gain.''