Sunday, September 09, 2007

Does the Horn Work On This Ute?

Hang On, I Think I've Missed The Point

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


I enjoy photographing unusual sights - as you know by now. This set of horns mounted on the bull bar of a ute caught my attention last week. A ute (short for utility vehicle) is known as a pickup in the rest of the world and yes, I'm sure there's a lot of pickup lines there! As you can see by the photograph below, I was determined to get the map of Australia, the horns and the Aussie flag all in the same frame.

It took a lot of patience, I can tell you. I could have just held the end of the flag and positioned it exactly where I wanted it - but that ain't the way I work. It was a breezy day, so I knew if I waited a few minutes I would eventually be able to shoot the frame I wanted. Patience sure does pay off. If you want to see some more ute pictures that I took that afternoon, go to Cowboys and Engines.

10 comments:

simon said...

Too bad if you are a pedestrian... these are the sort of things that get sensible bull bars banned.

this a the fishing rod "rocket launchers" that act like an apple corer....

Lin said...

"Cowboys and Engines" ... you STILL crack me up and amaze me. You need to apply at WSJ - they truly appreciate this level of title wit.

Deborah Gamble said...

Hmmmm...around here the Utes are a football team. But I root for the Cougars.

Max-e said...

Must say that the Australians take decorating their utes to a new level. In south Africa we call them "bakkies" (buck-keys), which is Afrikaans for a small bowl. Quite descriptive.

In answer to the question you left on my site, I am following the world cup rugby. I thoroughly enjoyed the first match.

I see the Wallabies trounced the Japanese. They dont seem to have made much progress as a rugby playing nation,, but then my daughter in law, who is Scots said that they are probably too polite a nation to play rugby.
Have a good day

david mcmahon said...

G'day Simon,

Too right - I made sure I didn;t get my butt within six feet of those horns!

Keeo smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Lin,

Why, thank you, ma'am! I'm glad you enjoy my post titles.

Can I ask a stupid question - what's WSJ?

Keeo smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Debbie,

Just make sure DH doesn't get his hands on their mascot!

Keeo smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

G'day Max-e,

Your daughter-in-law has a great theory there. I saw some of that game and I thought they put up a gutsy effort.

``Bakkies'' - wow, I didn;t know that. Thanks for that information.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Keeo smiling

David

M. CHRISTOPHE said...

Amazing pictures David.
This kingd of things are not allowed anymore in France. A new regulation to propect pedestrian against choc with car is coming soon.

Lin said...

If you weren't half-way across the planet, David, I would say "Oh, the shame of it all - a journalist who doesn't recognise the acronym for 'Wall Street Journal'. I suspect that they have a David M. clone chained in their basement to come up with their article headers. I think you 'need apply' there.