Friday, September 07, 2007

Second To Nun

Parent To No One, But She Was Mother To All


In one of our photo albums at home we have a picture of us taken years ago, by a nun. As photographs go, it's not a great shot. It’s taken from too far away. The subjects are not in the true centre of the frame. But it's one I'll always treasure.

On the tenth anniversary of Mother Teresa's death this week, I thought, a trifle wistfully, that it would be fitting homage to post a personal reflection of her - except that I thought I had nothing to share. And then, the more I thought about it, I suddenly realised that I did indeed have a story to share.

Not one story, but two. Well, three really, but I'll keep one for later.

Back in December 1989, we were on holiday in India with our Australian-born daughter, the first of our three precious children. One evening, my late father-in-law took us to visit the Missionaries of Charity, the order of nuns in simple white saris with blue borders.

There was a hush in the compound, with the myriad sounds of the city suddenly muted. Several minutes after being greeted by a soft-spoken nun who showed us around the austere premises, we were told ``Mother'' would be joining us.

She was shorter than I could ever have imagined. She welcomed us warmly, spoke to us for a few minutes and agreed to pose with us for some photographs. What did we speak about? Honestly, I can't remember. All my finely-honed powers of perception as a career journalist deserted me. But I do remember it being a moment of intense pride, in the presence of a power that I could never hope to define.

And there is another memory. It concerns the newspaper editor Desmond Doig, who presided over so much creativity in the golden years of The Statesman and The Junior Statesman, which later became the JS and the hallmark of a generation.

He was more than just an editor. He was mentor and guide to many young men; he was a gifted, sensitive writer; and he was an artist whose books captured the subtleties of Calcutta in a warm, engaging way.

Doig told the tale of how he sat at his typewriter on the balcony of his spacious Minto Park flat, writing a chapter of the manuscript. He went indoors just before an evening storm hit the city. When he returned, the table was bare. Every sheet of paper had gone, whipped away by fury of the nor’wester.

Hours later, as he despaired, there was a knock on his door. It was the night watchman. In his hand he held every piece of paper, soggy but intact. They had been retrieved at several points around the rambling Minto Park property.

Doig summed it up simply and beautifully. ``Just one of Mother's little miracles,'' he said.

31 comments:

Michal said...

thank you for honoring such a great woman and role model.

Pijush said...

Good Morning David,

Thanks for the nice post on Mother Teresa. She was great. From our childhood we heard/read many stories/articles in news paper about her contribution to the poor and destitute in Kolkata. But after schooling in Kharagpur when I was supposed to join University in Kolkata she passed away. I was not fortunate enough to meet her.

Have a nice day. We are going to bed now.

Cheers,
Pijush

Les Becker said...

Oh, I wish you'd post that photo, David! I can't imagine what meeting her must have been like. Unreal.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this, David. She truly was the angel of Calcutta.

FHB said...

She was a sweetie, fer sure.

b. said...

That's beautiful. What an example she was.

robkroese said...

Great stories, David. There was a woman who was truly salt and light.

Lin said...

I can't imagine what it felt like to be in the presence of such a giving soul. How fortunate, how blessed to find yourself there.

Deborah Gamble said...

Fascinating. I can't believe you were so lucky to actually meet her! And what a wonderful miracle about the manuscript as well.

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

What an event of a life time David!

I can't believe some question her Sainthood!

Bart said...

David-
Thanks for the words of encouragement. Right now it's actually more of a time/work problem than a blockage. Been kind of working goofy hours and been kinda exhausted and weary when I'm not there. I'm slowly getting back in to a normal rhythm, though.It helps if I feel, or think, like I have to get something out by a deadline. I work better under deadlines.

Luke Dockery said...

David,

Neat post; it's way cool that you got to meet her.

Did you see the recent article on Mother Teresa in TIME Magazine (url below). I was even more impressed with her after reading it.


http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1655415,00.html?cnn=yes

Berni said...

I did enjoy your story about Mother Teresa. I saw her when she visited Vancouver. As you say she was a tiny woman with a big presence.

PS This is the third time I have tried to leave this comment but I keep being asked to put more letters in. I hope this works

lime said...

oh thank you for sharing this with us. she is one of my heroes and actually all the more so since i have recently read of the correspondences with her mentors where she confessed her sense of being abandoned by god and feeling his silence profoundly. that she continued on faithfully nonetheless astounds and challenges me.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Michal,

It was a great honour to meet her.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Pijush,

She certainly was the sort of person who only comes once in a lifetime.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Les,

Will have to dig out the photo. It was a great privilege to meet her, one-on-one.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Allan,

Too right - she will be a saint one day.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

G'day FHB,

You;re so right. I cannot describe the feeling of actually meeting her.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi B,

She actually started that order of nuns - and the work they do and the humility they bring to serving others is just amazing.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Thanks, Diesel,

She was one rare human being. To the people of Calcutta - irrespective of religion - she is already a saint.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Lin,

Absolutely,

Fortunate. Blessed. All that and more. I cannot begin to describe it.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Debbie,

Lucky beyond belief to have actually made physical contact with her.

I have been extremely fortunate throughout my life to come into contact with truly amazing people who gave so much of themselves to others ...

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Mushy,

You;re so right. I cannot put it in words. No matter how hard I try.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Bart,

Thanks for getting back. Yep, I understand.

Maybe give yourself a weekly goal in terms of chapters of wordage ....

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Thanks Luke,

It was one of the great privileges of my life. Thanks for that link. Will check it out immediately.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Vic,

Thanks for persisting with the comment. Wow - great to have seen her on Canadian soil.

What a woman ...

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Lime,

So glad you enjoyed the post. Thanks for that revelation, I didn;t know any of that. I find it fascinating ....

Keep smiling

David

Hin Man said...

Thank you for sharing the experience in meeting Mother Teresa. It was such a great honor to meet her in person. I would have forgotten the conversation if I were you as I would be overwhelmed with joy, peace and humanity

Squiggles Mom said...

That's something worth cherishing..

kim said...

I came here from a comment you left on Kari Townsend's blog.

I just watched a show on Mother's life and have been reaping the benefits of her truths all week. When I feel impatient with my kids while getting them ready for school, I think of her and picture her hands and loving touch, which causes me to reach out with a loving touch (instead of a strangle hold!).

Kidding aside, knowing/speaking a loving truth and acting out a loving truth are separate things -- watching a person live both is so inspiring.

I probably won't make sainthood, but I'm sure I can bring more loving and peace to my own home.

Thanks for sharing your experience -- I hope you find that picture to post.

Peace to you,
Kim