Tuesday, September 04, 2007

The Sky's The Limit

Point Your Camera Up, Up And Away

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


This is a rare shot because it's not often you get the waning moon and the rising sun in the same frame, on a completely cloudless morning. I actually posted this photograph on my blog a year ago, with the post title Jose Can You See, By Dawn’s Yearly Light. At the time, I had just started posting every day and I was only getting about eight or ten hits on a good day, so I’m reproducing it here as a special response for Annie and Wendy.

You can see the three-quarter moon in the top left-hand quadrant of this shot. But the sun is actually 180 degrees away, completely out of the picture. What you see is merely the reflection of the rising sun on the glass exterior of one of the buildings that makes up this segment of Melbourne's skyline.

As I said when I first posted this image, it has not been enhanced in any way. What you see is what I shot. Simple as that. The colours and tones that you see here are exactly the colours and tones I saw through the lens. I was extremely lucky, because it was a cloudless morning, one of those crisp early spring days with a touch of frost.

How lucky was I? Let me explain. Given the gradually changing position of the sun through the year, there are only about seven or eight days annually where the sunrise is wholly reflected in the windows of this building. So, work it out mathematically. This shot is only possible on a maximum of eight days out of 365. That's a minuscule window of opportunity.

But then you have to take into account the rapidly diminishing probability that you'll see the moon at the same time. Low cloud or even scattered cloud generally obscures the moon at sunrise. But this time, with a Sigma 18-125 lens on my Pentax K100D, I was blessed with the trifecta (no cloud at all and the waning moon and the rising sun) - hey, how lucky could I get?

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fire and Ice ....(as rare as)

Anonymous said...

More pictures. Less science. ;)

Chertiozhnik said...

Sun and moon apart, it is the buildings that get me, as if they're just emerging into the real world and deciding what they are going to be. Amazing picture!

Anonymous said...

It is a very nice shot and one not often seen in the same way as you suggested. I like it very much and am reminded of some religious structures with similar implications once each year or some other date.

I have an oak tree outside my office window and most of the bird photos are shot from my desk chair to the tree where the bird is.

With that in mind, one morning, this spring something like fire grabbed my attention as I swung around in my chair. And I looked back out the window and there is this curved branch sticking out from the trunk. It was totally illuminated by the rising sun, through all the leaves and nothing else was lit. I took a picture of it and posted it with the elplanation. I will have to find it and let you see it.

I did publish the bald-headed blue jay on my bird blog today to see if it was going to work out. I will also publish it on the regular blog in the morning.

I did spend a lot of time today taking photos and did get some good ones I think. Including the bald bird.

See you tomorrow.

Lin said...

So glad you reposted this shot. It is absolutely gorgeous!

simon said...

top shot!

WichitaKsDailyPhoto said...

Hi David, thanks for the comment in letting me know of your moon and sun (all in one) shot. It is a neat photo, and taking into consideration the short time frame of each year to catch the alignment of moon and sun and building - it's extra special. Bet you were excited about this one. You had a cute comment about the Grasshopper being "logged on". LOL - good one.

Anonymous said...

Hi David. Currently the same sight is seen in Toronto too - i mean same phase of moon and visibility in similar position well after sunrise.

Very well taken !

Mrs Mac said...

OOoooo clever picture!!!

Bart said...

Don't dislocate your shoulder patting yourself on the pack. :D

It is quite the pretty shot.

Lindsay Blau Portnoy said...

What a gorgeous shot! Nice work David, it pays to do your homework huh :)

Unknown said...

Amazing! That sight can be seen only 8 times per year. Oh well, so much for seeing it here.

I too remember the not-so-long-ago days when my blog was lucky to get 10 visits per day. But as you will know, as you put more time into your blog, the traffic starts to trickle in, and you can finally see the rewards of your work.....

Thanks for your great photos.

David

Cuckoo said...

That's really a rare one. Very few times we get to see the moon & sun together.

Well captured shot.

WichitaKsDailyPhoto said...

Thanks for adding me to your blogroll. I like the "good little Wichitan" - clever. :)

david mcmahon said...

Hi SFX,

My sentiments exactly!

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

G'day OHara,

Good advice. More Lord Lichfield, less Albert Einstein!

Thank you for that guidance...

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Chertmeister,

Like a modern-day Atlantis. The other thing was the colour of the sky, too ...

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

G'day Abraham,

Thank you, I was hoping to see a comment from you here. Yours is a professional opinion that I value very highly.

I love the description of the oak tree shot. Can't wait to see it. Sometimes the story behind a picture is as interesting as the image itself.

Will check out the blue jay shot.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Lin,

Thank you. You have certainly vindicated my decision to use it.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

G'day Simon,

Thank you kindly.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Wendy,

Glad you think it's extra special. Yes, I was pretty stoked about the image, but in all honesty it was just luck that I was there.

The credit goes to Nature for the amazing display.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Priyank,

Thank you for that comment. Hope you;ve been taking some shots to post on your own great blog.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Helena,

Lucky picture. Wish I could take credit for the amazing scene, but I had nothing to do with it!

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Bart-Man,

Love your point o view. Couldn't work out why the doc had my shoulder in a sling!

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Lindsay,

Thank you for that comment. Homework's one thing, but the shot could just as easily have been ruined by cloud.

VERY lucky.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi David,

Thank you for those kind words. Yes, I've always advised other bloggers to post well and post often - it's the only way to attract more readers.

That's why your sites do so well, too ....

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Cuckoo,

Thank you ma'am. I was very fortunate.

And of course, that's why I always have my camera with me ..

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Wendy,

Thank you for having a sense of humour. I was hoping you wouldn't object to being called `Wendy the Good Little Wichitan'.

You are a good sport.

Keep smiling

David

Anonymous said...

hey I'm pretty lucky too - to have bumped into this blog and to get amazed at this mesmerizing photo! Thanks for sharing your luck with us David!

Anonymous said...

hey I'm pretty lucky too - to have bumped into this blog and to get amazed at this mesmerizing photo! Thanks for sharing your luck with us David! :)

FHB said...

Purdy. I got a few nice shots of Sydney when I was there. I'll have to post them some day.

Serendipity said...

ooh this picture's nice!