Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Called To The Bar

Sobering Experience In Alaska’s Pubs

Up Alaska way, they speak pretty good Strine. They know what a billy is. They know all about jumbucks. The word "billabong" doesn't faze 'em. They can tell you why a swagman is called a swagman. And, most important of all, they'll sing `Waltzing Matilda' as lustily as anyone sporting an Akubra and wearing a Drizabone.

Mind you, it wasn't always that way. Things were pretty quiet when we walked into the Fogcutter (what a great name for an Alaskan pub) late on a May evening. We'd already spent a bit of time familiarising ourselves with the other pub in Haines and things were pretty low-key. The barmaid noticed we were having a little trouble with the local coinage and came round to held us.

"Off the cruise ship?" she asked. Yep, we owned up. But how did she know?

To read the rest of the story, go to The Anglo-Indian Portal as it would be too long to post here.

4 comments:

Deborah Gamble said...

David,

I find it very interesting that you manage to cruise the pubs of Alaska all in the name of journalism. Does your wife buy that lame story? Becuase I'm not sure that I do.

Debbie

david mcmahon said...

Hi Debbie,

Don't tell anyone - I've been trying to persuade DH to accompany me on the next one.

But if you think it's a lame story, we'll have to try a different approach!

Hmmmmm .....

Cheers

David

Deborah Gamble said...

David,

You should know DH is not much of a writer, photogragher or drinker for that matter. But I don't think he'd let any of that stop him from going on such a venture.

Debbie

david mcmahon said...

Hi Debbie,

Perfect. I don't drink either.

And according to some of my best friends:

a) I can't write
b) I can't take a decent photograph.

So DH and I will be great company for one another! Tell him to start packing ....

Cheers

David