Saturday, May 26, 2007

Rocket Mantra

Sound And Delight Show

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


This shot, showing a streetside fireworks stall in Calcutta, was taken through the window of a moving car. For someone like me, who grew up in India, fireworks always evoke memories of the Hindu festival Diwali, when the nights were etched with spectacular sound-and-light displays. When I was a kid, the fact that I was Christian never dampened my enthusiasm for Diwali. My most vivid memory? The year when I actually caught the biggest prize of all - the scaled-down parachute and plastic figure of a skydiver that floated gracefully down from what we used to call a ``parachute bomb''.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey rememeber the kalipotka's??
the long chain crackers, which would go off in a series!! I miss those days.... :)

Buscador said...

It has been way too long since I've travelled anywhere (especially outside the U.S.). This blog and picture reinforces my desire to go see the world. And one of the places I've always wanted to go to has been India. Hopefully one day I'll actually get to go see this place you once called home.

Pijush said...

Hi David,

I am feeling nostalgic. In childhood we used to play with the crackers and this picture also evokes my memories. Thanks for sharing and it is nice to know that you also enjoyed the Deepavali festival.

Cheers,
Pijush

david mcmahon said...

Hi Sam,

The red crackers - yes, I remember them well. Sometimes they were so long they used to be placed down the length of a street or laneway.

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Buscador,

You will travel, and you will seek. India is a mystical cocktail (I might use that as a book title one day) and you will be captivated by much of the country.

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Pijush,

I don;t think I was ever game enough to light them - I was the observer!

Cheers

David

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

Ooo FIREWORKS?

I thought it was sweets.

Reminds me of the window of a little old-fashioned sweet shop, in a village called Coggeshall, not far from us.

Slurp.
:@}

Buscador said...

David, I completely think that would be an EXCELLENT title for a book. I anticipate reading that one day.

david mcmahon said...

Hi BTBear,

Would love to see a post on your blog about the sweet shop.

Really enjoyed my time in England each sporting summer between 1981-87.

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Buscador,

Glad you liked the title. Okay, I'll keep that one up my sleeve, especially for you ....

Cheers

David