Monday, May 28, 2007

Once In A Blue Moon

Aldrin Memories Create A Media Buzz

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON

This shot was taken a few hours ago, at dusk on Sunday. We were outdoors on a breezy but very mild evening when I noticed that the moon looked as though it was being cradled by the almost-bare branch of this plane tree. It was just right for a quick photograph – the gentle curve of the branch and its few remaining leaves in silhouette, and a two-thirds moon floating in a clear azure sky. I think it was meant to be photographed.

There was another lunar connection for the evening, with Buzz Aldrin being interviewed about Apollo XI on Channel Seven’s Sunday segment `Where Are They Now’. For me, the highlight of the interview was Aldrin pointing to the mission patch on his NASA jacket. As he picked out the detail of the eagle carrying the olive branch, he quoted the words from the famous plaque left behind on the lunar surface - ``We came in peace for all mankind’’.

6 comments:

Chertiozhnik said...

I still look at the moon and get a cold shiver sometimes, awed to think that people have actually walked on it. Naive, but Wow Factor 10.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Chertmeister,

As a huge fan of the Apollo program, I also get a shiver down my spine.

Will write a follow-up post as I have something in mind.

Yep, Wow factor 10 - absolutely.

Cheers

David

Bart said...

I know it's a completely different guy, but on my 21st birthday I stood on my friend's dock on the Magothy River (a tributary of the Chesapeake Bay), and pointed up at the sky, and drunkenly saluted John Glenn for being up in space at that given time, at his "advanced" age.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Bart,

Aye, he's a great man. He was a repeat astronaut at an age when most men would be content with reading in a rocking chair.

A true pioneer in every sense.

Cheers

David

karoline in the morning said...

very cool david!...i've yet to remember to carry my camera with me at all times..even tho, i know, that the most incredible shot i will never have taken, will announce itself almost immediately upon getting too far, to go back for it....

david mcmahon said...

Hi Karoline,

Thanks for your appreciative comment. It's great fun having a camera handy at all times - but it's a hard habit to get into!

Cheers

David