Friday, May 25, 2007

Star Tech

Brevity Is Part Of A Blogger’s Brief

In my newspaper column (it’s called Blog Cabin) in the News Limited publication `mX’, published in Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne, I recently answered a question from David Swift, but the Q&A could be of interest to the wider blogging community.

Could you please give me some feedback on the basics of my blog - design, content and writing style? I would like to get more traffic, as well as reader comments.

You just got yourself the job of PR manager for (retired independent Senator from Tasmania) Brian Harradine - he's probably rapt with the reference to him as ``Brain'' Harradine.

Your template is neat, easy to navigate and lends itself to quick reading. The content could do with a little proof-reading, because writing is obviously your strong point. Not every blogger is a Spelling Bee champion, but a little polish will bring rewards.

You deal with a great variety of subjects, but try including some pictures, graphics or design elements with each post. This will make a great difference to your overall look.

The best blogs are not just well-written, they are well presented. Yours just needs a little attention to pictorial detail. You've done well with the sidebars on breaking news, recent comments, Chuck Norris facts and your choice of quips. If brevity is a blogger's friend, humour is a blogger's trump card.

You've made an impressive start, and the more readers you get, the more comments you will receive. Reply to each comment, as this builds a rapport with your readers. And send Brian Harradine Christmas cards every year.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi David,

Thanks again for the review of my 'simple little blog', getting feedback from a 'master' such as yourself is a very valuable commodity for an upstart such as myself. You are my Yoda to me as Luke Skywalker :-)

Over the comming weeks I aim to introduce the suggestions made.

I will keep a close eye on this blog, so I can gleam even more ideas from you and your readers.

Thanks

Dave

david mcmahon said...

Hi Dave,

My pleasure, mate. It's very important for me to be able to share any expertise I have acquired, through my journalism.

It's a learning experience for us all, and by sharing knowledge, we become a much stronger community and more trusting of others.

All I ask is that those whom I help then share that knowledge with others - so it becomes self-perpetuating.

Tell ya something else, Luke - I've never been called Yoda before but I reckon it's a top moniker!

Take care and stay in touch

David

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

Gosh, with a title like that, I thought it was going to be about pants. Talk about disappointment.

david mcmahon said...

Hi BTBear,

Sorry - I'll find some especially for you. That's what friends are for.

Cheers

David