Thursday, May 24, 2007

Passing Sentence Game #3

One Small Steppe For Man

Can 15 different sentences – written by different bloggers – make a good story? There’s only one way to find out. As we did last week and the week before, I’m going to write the first sentence and I invite you to contribute the next sentence, in sequence. Just leave your sentence as a comment, and I’ll keep adding them here on this blogpost. Now you can see why I call this ``passing sentence''. Here goes the first sentence …

Okay, so the second-hand Time Travel Machine only cost me fifty quid at a flea market in Tooting Broadway, but it worked fine and here I am in 15th century Mongolia – one small steppe for man, one giant sleep for mankind.

Time elapsed: 1 hr 42 mins. Second sentence from Scala in Portugal:

Mongolia seems to be very dirty and savage compared to my home town, but certainly the air is pretty good.

Time elapsed: 19 mins. Third sentence from Shrink Wrapped Scream in the Isle of Man:

I've run into a very nice chappie though, Attila the Hun; he and his pals are most insistent upon showing me around (well, a tad pushy about it, truth be told), so, all things considered, it looks like I've landed on my feet here, eh?

Time elapsed: 37 mins. Fourth sentence from Nobody’s Friend in the UK:

Just as I realised that I didn't speak Mongolian, and that "Heartbreak Hotel" was playing somewhere in the background, Atilla put his knife to my throat: "You know how it works, get us out of here!"

Time elapsed: 8 mins. Fifth sentence from Dance With the Sun in Canada:

I frantically looked around for help and seeing none, I promptly fainted, my last thought was "I don't remember who sang Heartbreak Hotel!"

Time elapsed: 26 mins. Sixth sentence from Terry’s Playpen in Portugal:

The ghosts of the Khan brothers, Genghis and Kublai, stood off to one side observing the fiasco; it was their best buddy Elvis, from somewhere in the future, who was belting out 'Heartbreak Hotel', but they still didn't find it as kool as their own camel-skin orchestras, so they each decided to light up a cheroot, squat on their haunches, and plan a takeover themselves - wouldn't it be a whizz to flip back to the 12th or 13th century and do that blood-letting all over again?


Time elapsed: 5 hrs 38 mins, Seventh sentence from OzLady in Singapore:

Suddenly, with a whir, the time machine stirred, sprung into the air, and with a dazzling light display it transported the Khan brothers, Elvis and myself - we were suddenly engulfed in screaming fans at a James Brown concert in 1983.

Time elapsed: 13 hrs 4 mins. Eighth sentence from Bartraeke in the US:

Brown was in the middle of his "Help me, no wait, throw off the robe/cape" schtick when we got there, which greatly vexed Elvis, who huffed, "What an amateur, man, I like the music, but what a ham, man," and it was then I realised it was most definitely the young non-jump-suited Elvis who had tagged along for the ride.

Time elapsed: 2 hrs 2 mins. Ninth sentence from Bob’s Diary in the UK:

Meanwhile, the Khan brothers were having a great time. They took to Brown like a wasp to a picnic. Strutting their stuff, and it getting so hot in there, they stripped right down to their pants and sang "Wa-heyyyyyy!" in Elvis's face.

Time elapsed: 29hrs 8 mins. Tenth sentence from Pijush in Greece:

The screaming of the Khans woke me up; it was really a nightmare, but I am not in my bed, I can’t see things around, where am I?

Time elapsed: 1hr 58 mins. Eleventh sentence from Sam in India:

This infuriates Elvis and he decides to take another time travel epsiode which takes us all right to the very heart of Woodstock ... the loud music causes the Khans to spin around and search for its source, while me and Elvis groove to the music!!

Time elapsed: 5hrs 4 mins. Twelfth sentence from Chewy in the US:

Woodstock, (drugs, music, rain, mud) all the pants come flying off in a crazy hippie dance flower power peace & love craze.

Time elapsed: 2 days. Thirteenth sentence from Sam in India:

And so began a night of pure ecstasy as the music seeped into the heart and ripped apart the cloak of indifference, gifted by the supreme materialistic existence of the common man, to carry everyone into the realms of a world known only to the people who lose their heart to music.

Time elapsed: 6hr 58mins. Fourteenth sentence from Papoosue in Scotland.

Singing ensued and they danced around the fire - 'Let's all get drunk and go naked, Let's all get drunk and go naked, Let's all get drunk and go naaaaaked, and lie in a great big piiiile!'

And here's the last sentence:

By the time we got to Woodstock, we were half a million strong, so Attila and Genghis went looking for electric Kool-Aid while James Brown and Elvis usurped the Time Machine as their private sound stage, leaving the young Crosby and Stills to gnash their teeth as Spencer Tunick arrived to photograph all of our bare butts; and just as Attila and Genghis returned with a ``borrowed’’ tractor pulling a 2000-gallon vat of Kool-Aid, we saw Seinfeld, George, Kramer and Elaine stroll past, saying: ``Nice outing; not that there’s anything wrong with vat’’.

26 comments:

Scala said...

Mongolia seems to be very dirty and savage compare to my home town but certainly the air is pretty good

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

I've run into a very nice chappie though, Attila the Hun, he and his pals are most insistent upon showing me around (well, a tad pushy about it, truth be told), so, all things considered, it looks like I've landed on my feet here, eh?

Chertiozhnik said...

Just as I realised that I didn't speak Mongolian, and that "Heartbreak Hotel" was playing somewhere in the background, Atilla put his knife to my throat: "You know how it works, get us out of here!"

phaseoutgirl said...

I frantically looked around for help and seeing none, I promptly fainted, my last thought was "I don't remember who sang Hearbreak Hotel!"

Fletch said...

The ghosts of the Khan brothers, Genghis and Kublai, stood off to one side observing the fiasco. It was their best buddy Elvis, from somewhere in the future, who was belting out 'Heartbreak Hotel', but they still didn't find it as kool as their own camel-skin orchestras. They each decided to light up a cheroot, squat on their haunches, and plan a takeover themselves. Wouldn't it be a whizz to flip back to the 12th or 13th century and do that blood-letting all over again?

Anonymous said...

Suddenly, with a whir, the time machine stirred ,sprung into the air, and with a dazzling light display it transported the Khan brothers, Elvis and myself - we were suddenly engulfed in screaming fans at a James Brown concert in 1983.

david mcmahon said...

H Scala,

Thanks for jumping in first.

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Carol,

Glad it was you that met Attila and that I didn't come face-to-face with him.

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Chertiozhnik,

On a knife-edge!

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Cecilia,

All you had to do was look down at my blue suede shoes!

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi El Tel,

Now that's a real Khan-do attitude.

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Ozlady,

I can see you in the mosh pit!

Take care

David

Bart said...

Brown was in the middle of his "help me, no wait, throw off the robe/cape" schtick when we got there, which greatly vexed Elvis, who huffed, "what an amateur, man, I like the music, but what a ham, man," and it was then I realized it was most definitely the young non-jump suited Elvis who had tagged along for the ride.

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

Meanwhile, the Khan brothers were having a great time. They took to Brown like a wasp to a picnic. Strutting their stuff, and it getting so hot in there, they stripped right down to their pants and sang "Wa-heyyyyyy!" in Elvis's face.

Pijush said...

The screaming of Khans’ woke me up; it was really a nightmare, but I am not in my bed, I can’t see things around, where am I?

Anonymous said...

This infuriates Elvis and he decides to take another time travel which takes us all right to the very heart fo Woodstock..... The loud music causes the Khans to spin around and search for it's source, while me and Elvis groove to teh music!!

Anonymous said...

Woodstock, (drugs, music, rain, mud) all the pants come flying off in a crazy hippie dance flower power peace & love craze.

Sam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sam said...

and so began a night of pure ecstasy as the music seeped into the heart and ripped apart the cloak of indiffirence, gifted by the supreme materialistic existence of the common man, to carry everyone into the realms of a world known only to the people who lose their heart to music.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Bart, BTBear, Pijush, Sam and Darlene,

Sorry it took me a while to reply. But thank you for all your contributions to the Passing Sentence project.

Wouldn't happen without you ....

Cheers

David

Papoosue said...

Singing ensued and they danced around the fire - 'Lets all get drunk and go naked, Lets all get drunk and go naked, Lets all get drunk and go naaaaaked, and lie in a great big piiiile!'

Anonymous said...

I belted out a good laugh at that last sentence. Nice pun.javascript:void(0)

david mcmahon said...

Hi Papoosue,

Thanks for kick-starting it again!

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Darlene,

Interesting you should say that - because I sat there at a blank screen not knowing which way to take it. Then it all came in a rush.

So glad it worked for you!

Cheers

David

Anonymous said...

I love Sam's sentence - well done!!!

Sam said...

hey ozlady!! thanks!! :)