Tuesday, May 22, 2007

A Book Review I Didn’t Expect

My Humble Thanks To Des Tellis

A couple of days ago, I received an interesting email from Des Tellis, who lives in Christie Downs in South Australia. He had tried contacting me earlier but had had no success until he got my contact details from a relative. Des’s email was warm and supportive of my first novel, Vegemite Vindaloo', published by Penguin – and he kindly attached a newsletter review that he had written of the book. This is an excerpt ….

``David McMahon tells a story that has a wonderfully authentic ring. With a touch of James A. Michener, tracking the confluence of different migrant peoples in many epic novels, McMahon takes us along a mini confluence of disparate people. A very true-to-life novel, it doesn’t shy away from the prejudices we all knew in India, and even practised, and it captures the sentiments and insecurities of a migrant community through all the ups and downs of the transition process.

And, if I have read Book Notes on the Internet correctly, `Vegemite Vindaloo’ has been on several bestseller lists and was No.3 on the Calcutta Statesman’s best seller list in November last year, just behind Booker Prize winner Kiran Desai and John Grisham, at No.1 and 2, and ahead of Frederick Forsyth and Jeffrey Archer at No. 4 and 5. How is that for a debut novel!

It has humour, poignant moments and uplifting sequences where decency and inherent goodness win through. It is the type of book I have waited half a lifetime to read.’’

15 comments:

Viper said...

Nice, good job!

phaseoutgirl said...

We are awaiting with bated breath for the next one, we your very loyal "fans"!!!

love,
cecilia

david mcmahon said...

Thanks, Viper,

I wasn't expecting that review - and it just blew me away.

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Cecilia,

You were the second e-reviewer (after El Tel) to take the book to your microscope - and I thank you very humbly for that.

And here I am, beavering away on the next novel ....

Keep smiling.

David

Anonymous said...

haven't read teh novel yet, but dare say comments like definitely lift teh spirits!!

david mcmahon said...

Thanks Sam,

You are so right. It's nice to know that my work has a resonance with readers.

Thanks for dropping by

David

Anonymous said...

Wow! You're listed among some greats. Excellent!

Pijush said...

Great Job, I will read this book once I visit India next month. Eager to gothrough it :-)

Cuckoo said...

Hmmm.. though I have marked this book in my 'to read' booklist, I guess I need to give it priority now.

Just to tell you.. currently I am reading 2 books. One is from Frederick Forsyth & the other one is Shantaram, written by another Australian.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Darlene,

Beyond my wildest dreams ... truly.

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Pijush,

That would be wonderful. I'd be really honoured if you did that.

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Cuckoo,

Thank you, that would be wonderful. It'd also be very relevant in the light of your recent post about real books.

`Shantaram' was great - I can't wait to see the movie.

Cheers

David

Hari said...

Thanks for letting me know about the book.
This would be the next on my to read list

david mcmahon said...

Hi Hari,

Great to hear. Hope you enjoy it.

Cheers

David

Bridget White-Kumar said...

Dear Mr Machahon
Congratulations on your book Vegemite Vindaloo being on the best seller list. I read your book and liked it very much. Also read the review by Mr Des Tellis. His reviews are always good. In fact he's written such comlimentary things about my three Anglo-Indian Cookery books as well in a few magazines / newspapers in Australia. I also read you comment about my recipe of Chicken vindaloo on Lotus reads. Glad you like it.
Mr Mcmahon could I request you to please include my website http://www.anglo-indianrecipes.com under your links section? I hope you will oblige.
Congratulations once again
Bridget Kumar