Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Star Tech

So You Want The Sound Of Music?

Yesterday, an interesting question came my way from US-based Rachelle Black, who has the lively blog Pasture Musings. Her question was:

Could you help me figure out how to add one of my children's music clips to my blog?


Since I’ve never loaded audio files on my blog, I would normally have checked the discussion thread at Google Blogger Help but I happened to mention the query to Portugal-based Terry Fletcher – and got an immediate email response. This was what he said. ``There are several ways, but they're all 'complicated'. Not to say that they're `not possible’, it is just that you should understand that 'free' hosts are reluctant to host 'streaming audio' because of the bandwidth implications. In short, it doesn't pay them to do so! OK, with that out of the way, let us face the 'problem'. The easiest way, of course, is if you have your own server, or pay for somebody to host you on a shared server. I will make another post on the 'Sandbox' explaining in detail how to go about it, and pointing you at the Javascript and other files you will need.’’

Details of Terry’s answer can be found on the post Music, Music at the new but invaluable resource Terry’s Sandbox.

And we have additional information from Karoline, who writes the blog Wednesday’s Child. She told me: ``Esnips also uploads clips music photos, etc. Once you upload to your file you can turn it into an MP3 or wma file which you can then insert on your front page. You have the option of self-start or have it started manually. Hope this might help.’’

9 comments:

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

OOhh.. I really would love to be able to do that, but if it's harder than for a two year old to follow, I'll get lost.. think I'll just wait 'til you figure it through, and let you lead us by the hand.. but hurry, please - I'm getting all excited now!

david mcmahon said...

Hi Carol,

I'd have to say, that's music to my ears!

Audio files could turn you and me into audiophiles, hey?

Keep smiling

David

Bart said...

I can only imagine the horror if I could subject people to my music.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Bart,

Ah, I won't inflict my opera singing on anyone either!

Cheers

David

Cuckoo said...

Well, I have one on my blog. I always upload a song there along with my post. The same site I gave to Mur as well & and he liked it.

It is a free site for uploading audio, video, pictures etc.

Of course, it does take sometime to download. I can help if she wants it. And yeah, even I would want to have a better one. :)

Cheers !

david mcmahon said...

Hi Cuckoo,

If you have the time, do give me the link details and I'll add it to my post. Of course, I'll also gave you credit (and a link) for having pointed it out.

I'm sure some readers would like to try it out.

Cheers - and thank you for that info.

David

karoline in the morning said...

esnips also uploads clips music photos etc..

once you upload to your file you can turn it into an mp3 or wma file which you can then insert on your front page. you have the option of self start or have it started manually..

hope this might help
cheers
k

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

Thanks! I'd wondered how to do that.

Speaking of music files, I just found the Aussie National Anthem:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/country_profiles/1250188.stm

Is it just me, folks, or does this sound like "I thought I saw a puddy-tat, I did, I did, I did..."

???????

:@}

Rachelle said...

Karoline,
Thanks so much! I'm going to look into that next,
Slainte~
Rachelle