Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Hurry, Krishna

Yum, It's The True Taste Of Justice

Okay, so this story's been around since the weekend and I was late to react, but it's a ripper. Inmates of an Indian prison are reportedly refusing to apply for bail - because the food is so good. Parappana Agrahara prison in Bangalore is crowded with 4700 inmates, more than twice its capacity. But criminals are refusing to apply for bail to get out while juvenile offenders are lying about their age to get in, reports the Bangalore Mirror. The paper says the reason is healthy food being served by ISKCON, or the International Society for Krishna Consciousness, a Hindu evangelist organisation. ISKCON, commonly known as the Hare Krishna movement, started serving its pure-vegetarian fare in the jail in May.

FOOTNOTE: Obviously not a case of unjust desserts.

6 comments:

Lin said...

Having reached that certain age where food is nearly aphrodisiac, I can relate. My Katlady friend once said that she would rather fling a brick through the post office window and suffer the poshness of a federal incarceration than the prospects of a home for the aging. There is a genuine validity there worth considering.

Cuckoo said...

Nice one there !

I wish all the jails are served food like that then we would have all the crimes inside the jails ;)

david mcmahon said...

Hi Lin,

Loved that comment. Tell your friend I'll be right behind her.

My boarding school background means I love my tucker/ food!

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Cuckoo,

Now that viewpoint, I like! You are a lateral thinker in more ways than one!

Cheers

David

FHB said...

Hilarious. What people won't do to get good Indian food. For me it's Chinese, but I think I'd set the bar at being on lock down.

david mcmahon said...

Hi FHB,

Hmmm, I think I'd vote for Thai food.

But not being locked in, er, no!

Cheers

David