Thursday, June 21, 2007

Light Entertainment

A Memorable End To The Shortest Day

Photographs copyright: DAVID McMAHON


Melbourne, Thursday, 5.05pm. It's a good thing I always have a camera with me. I was walking to my car this evening and noticed the sky had an interesting glow. Not spectacular, just mildly interesting. Right? So I took the camera out, took a couple of frames and turned away. I put the lens cap back on, put the camera into its bag and snapped it shut. Closed the back door and got into the car.


Melbourne, Thursday, 5.07pm. Even before I could put the key in the ignition, I half-turned to get hold of my seatbelt. I blinked in disbelief as I realised how rapidly the sky had changed. Got the camera out again and took this shot. There was literally two minutes between the first frame and this one, because I checked my watch and verified it on the image properties.


Melbourne, Thursday, 5.08pm. This time I waited, because the rays of the sun - which had already sunk beyond the horizon - were turning into a golden war bonnet. This time, there was only a minute between these frames. The total time elapsed was less than four minutes, from start to finish. And there's a special significance to this sequence, because today's the winter equinox, the shortest day of the year. What a privilege to be able to capture it in this way.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are unbelievable... I have not seen snaps like that too often. Honestly I have no words to really describe them. Great job David. One more example of why its so important to have your camera with you all the time... Siddharth

Anonymous said...

You could sell these to one of those inspirational poster companies!

Nice!

david mcmahon said...

Hi Siddharth,

Thank you for the kind words. I was just lucky - in the right place at the right time.

I couldn't believe the way the light changed so quickly.

Yes, it certainly validates my decision to have my camera with me at all time.

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Steph,

Now that you mention it ....

It was an amazing sight, especially because the light changed so swiftly.

Cheers

David

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

That is truly remarkable, David! Incidentally, today is our longest day of the year..

david mcmahon said...

Hi Carol,

See ya at Stonehenge at daybreak!

Cheers

David

Anonymous said...

Wow! Needs some dramatic symphonic music.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Darlene,

Believe me, I could hear the music in my head. It was something classical.

Cheers

David

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Love those shots...maybe some day I can witness them myself!

david mcmahon said...

Thanks, Mushy,

I was gobsmacked at how quickly it morphed.

Aren't you flying in to Oz this weekend, just to see sights like these?!!

Cheers

David

Sam said...

ah teh solstice...nice capture david... am sorry been highly irregular these past few weeks... had too much of work... adn finally, got bogged down by a bad bout of flu.. still recovering... u might guess all this from my owon frequency of postings this month!!
cheerio
tc and be happy
sam

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

Cool....

longest day here, and my 200th post!

:@}

karoline in the morning said...

i luv those shooting fingers of light, like they're trying to grab the sky...

k
:)

Fletch said...

Now, THOSE 3 frames called for some 'Thickbox' magic. Consider it. The changes can appear even after the event (of posting, that is).

Chewy mentioned putting it to music. How right she is. I could do a feature.

Let me know.

Cuckoo said...

They are unbelievably beautiful shots !! Good that you waited there for miracle to happen.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Sam,

Thank you for that comment. Sorry to hear you've been ill - I was certainly wondering what was wrong because I hadn't seen much on your blog.

Take care of yourself.

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi BTBear,

Great effort - 200 posts. Bearing up remarkably well! More power to you and that wonderfully readable blog ...

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Karoline,

Thank you, that's a perfect description.

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi El Tel,

Got my hands full for the next four days - but that's an incredibly generous offer.

I'd be honoured if you could, kind sir.

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Cuckoo,

Thank you. Strange to think I was actually leaving after the first shot - and then I realised how quickly the light was changing.

Just a lucky episode.

Cheers

David

Catmoves said...

Absolutely fabulous David. And I'm glad to note that the sky in Melbourne is as I remember it. Thank you for these pictures.

savannah said...

fantastic images...don't think i've ever seen anything like that...as someone mentioned earlier, longest day for us about the equator...it seemed as if it would never set...
be well, sugar!

savannah said...

i meant above

david mcmahon said...

Hi Catmoves,

Lovely to hear from you. Glad you liked the pictures. Yes, the Melbourne sky is full of surprises - and I was VERY lucky with this sequence.

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Savannah,

How nice of you to drop by again. I'm so glad you liked the shots.

Hope your sunshine never ends - in more ways than one.

Cheers

David