Friday, June 29, 2007

Have A Long Weekend

We Can Streeeeeetch Two Days Into Three

We'll stop time marching on. Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


You’re wondering how the weekend can last three days? Easy, mate. Thanks to the International Date Line, it sure can. You see, New York is fifteen hours behind Melbourne, and LA is seventeen hours behind. So my weekend begins even before you start work on Friday - and I’m back at work Monday morning while you’re sleeping in Sunday mid-morning.

So now that we’ve grasped the concept of long weekends (okay, so it’s also a stretch of the imagination) let me tell you that I’m going to post a couple of things each weekend to give you a bit of fun - and also to direct some of my readers to your blog/ blogs as well.

The first one will be called Rite Of Reply. I’ll post a simple question. You leave a simple answer as a comment. And at the end of the weekend, I’ll collate the answers and post them, with links to the sites of all those who left replies.

And I’m re-introducing the popular Passing Sentence game. If you’re new to this blog, a couple of months ago I wondered aloud if 15 different sentences - written by different bloggers - could possibly make a cohesive, interesting story. I called it the Passing Sentence Game, because it was literally a case of passing one sentence on to the next person.

I’ll provide the first sentence, the next 13 sentences come from anyone who wants a bit of fun; and the big challenge is for me to wrap it all up with the fifteenth sentence. Then a big name critiques the game and I can reveal that among the judges I’ve lined up are a veteran author and a BBC columnist.

If you want to have a look at a previous Passing Sentence Game and get an idea of how freewheeling they really are, simply go to One Small Steppe For Man.

23 comments:

Cuckoo said...

Hi David,

Do you know I was thinking of starting this game on my blog (with an Indian touch) for my fellow readers, of course with pointers coming to you in a big way.

And I was looking for your mail-id to ask something. Couldn't find anywhere. :(

Can I have it please ? Is there any way to contact you other than this open stage ?

Sam said...

Ah!! When are you going to start it again?? Been missing the game so much!! :)
Loved it......
oh btw, that stretch of imagination is really cool....

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

Lisa! LISA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have a LISA CLOCK!

I want one!

:@}



she's luvvvvleyyyyy

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

I'll be up for that again, I look forward to it. Whilst I'm here, can I nominate my latest post for the BOTW awards? Thanks David!

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

I'll be up for that again, I look forward to it. Whilst I'm here, can I nominate my latest post for the BOTW awards? Thanks David!

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Oops, is this the start of OCD??

Papoosue said...

Sounds like fun!

Anonymous said...

I like to play games.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Cuckoo,

No problem at all. Yes, of course you can get in touch with me by email.

Just leave your email address here as a comment and I'll reply straight away.

Also, if you want me to delete the comment with your email address, just let me know.

It would be terrific to see the game used on a wider stage.

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Sam,

Sorry, I thought I'd give the concept a break for a coupla weeks. Looks like quite a few people missed it ....

I'm glad you like the stretch of imagination!

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi BTBear,

I've never seen a Lisa Simpson alarm clock before and I think this one came in a show bag some years ago.

Will scout around and if I find one, I'll mail it to you. Watch this space. Mummy will have to give me your snail-mail address.

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Carol,

No worries - it's called the power of emphasis.

Nuffin' wrong with that!

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Papoosue,

Okey-dokey, the new game is up and running now ...

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Darlene,

Thank you for that support. Yes, I have noticed you are an unfailingly regular contributor to all my innovations, as well as lending your distinctive humour to yesbut's image caption contest.

Many thanks, once again

Cheers

David

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

Carol, what's the BOTW award?

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

Carol, what's the BOTW award?


:@}

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

Oooo! Oo! oo oo !!!!

A Lisa Clock!

WOW!

Fank cu!

:@}

Cuckoo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Victorya said...

Honoured by the thought of exchanging blogroll type stuff David! I put you up on mine.

Cheers.

david mcmahon said...

Hi BT,

I know Carol refers to the weekly awards as BOTW (Blog of the week) awards.

Hence her tricky acronym - just to fool us all!

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi BTBear,

Seems the Lisa clock came from a closing-down sale a year ago.

But the who,e family has their eyes peeled for another one just for you!

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

That's great, Victorya,

Will add your blog to mine. Many thanks.

Cheers

David

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

Oh WOW! Please pass on my nose-hugs to the Lisa-clock-look-outer-fors.