Monday, June 18, 2007

Under A Brooding Sky

A Dark Day In Melbourne's History

Photographs copyright: DAVID McMAHON


I was at work this morning when I got a call from a colleague who was just on his way in to the office. ``Do you have your camera with you?'' he asked. I sure did. He told me to come downstairs and get some shots because, as he put it, ``the light is really unusual.'' I raced down without bothering to get my coat and scarf and there I was in my shirtsleeves while everyone else was in overcoats and gloves.

It really was an eerie sky, but I thought nothing of it. I only spent about five minutes taking photographs in a light, mist-like drizzle. Then when I got back to my desk, we heard about the shooting in the city that left one person dead and two people in serious condition in intensive care. As I write this post, police have identified the gunman who carried out the cold-blooded shooting. For latest updates, go to Herald Sun.com.au.

17 comments:

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

So that's where Colman's Mustard comes from.

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Oooooh - goosebumps. The sky is in mourning..

Anonymous said...

Sad thing, the news.
The picture is nice.

Brian in Oxford said...

The yellow sky is a rare one. Ever see it when that yellow effect meets up with a blue sky? Usually late in the afternoon....you can almost make out a bit of green between them.

Bart said...

In a sad commentary on the current state of things, the bad news of Melbourne didn't faze me much, since it sounds like business as usual around Baltimore.

karoline in the morning said...

what a beautiful photo, very ominous..

Stacy said...

The top photo looks like a painting. Beautiful!

david mcmahon said...

Hi BTBear,

My thoughts, exactly!

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Carol,

It was eerie, because the time of the picture was concurrent with the time of the shooting.

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Shashikiran,

Terrible news for a peaceful city - and the picture was an eerie coincidence.

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Brian,

Must pay more attention to the late-afternoon effect. The yellow clouds were very strange, not something I see every day.

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Karoline,

I think you're right. It was a very unusual colour range.

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Stacy,

I'm glad you like the picture. When I've finished this novel, I'm going to get some of my prints framed and take 'em in to a couple of galleries. We'll just see what happens ...

Cheers

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Bart-Man,

I know what you mean. We do live in a cocoon of safety, thank the Lord.

Cheers

David

Anonymous said...

5 minutes well spent

Anonymous said...

that was me Siddharth

Pijush said...

Incredible shots.. awesome.