Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Sunday Roast #4

It's Time To Go All Misty-Eyed

This week's interview is with Misty Dawn,
who writes the blog My Dogs Keep me Sane.


The first of the standard weekly questions: Why do you blog?

When I first created my blog and started writing on it, the purpose was to help me adjust to a 750 mile move to a new state, which also moved me 750 miles away from my family and friends. Now, however, as I continue to blog, there are many new reasons. Some of those reasons are: to share my photography and writing and give myself a way to expand on my abilities and talents; to have an outlet for expressing feelings, emotions, and ideas; and, of course, to continue to interact with and build upon the friendships I have developed through blogging.

What's the story behind your blog name?

Well, My Dogs Keep Me Sane - that pretty much explains itself. I love all dogs and wish I could someday run a dog rescue. The three Border Collies that now own me are the lights of my life. They provide me with unconditional love and devotion. My dogs give me something to focus on when other things in life get too hectic or stressful.

Misty's Words - was originally started to share my creative writing - hence the name, Misty's Words. However, I have found that I am most happy sharing my photography the most, but I do still post some of my writing and ideas there.

What is the best thing about being a blogger?

Definitely the relationships you develop. I have made so many friendships throughout the world, which I hold very close to my heart. These friendships are made without the initial judgments which sometimes cloud face-to-face interactions and meetings.

What key advice would you give to a newbie blogger?

Don't get discouraged. You are not going to start a blog and instantly have readers and comments. You must visit other blogs and make comments before people will even know your blog exists. Also, build networks - visit other blogs, join networking sites, get your name out there ... as they say in Field of Dreams: "If you build it, they will come".

What is the most significant blog post you've ever read?

Oh wow, there is no way I could narrow it down to one significant blog post I have read. Each post I read has some kind of significance, whether it be that person needed advice or support or simply just someone to talk to; maybe it's a post I'm reading because I'm trying to learn how to do something; possibly it's a post I have read that made me laugh out loud when I was having a horrible day... I just simply cannot give any one post that title of the most significant I have ever read, because they are all significant to me.

What is the most significant blog post you've ever written?

Well, I've written some posts for the purpose of making my blog friends laugh, some for the purpose of sharing my grandparents' story, and some because I needed support. I guess the most significant to me were the two I wrote about my grandparents, because they were the most significant people in my life.

Ironically, each of these posts were paid posts, but they still remain the most significant posts to me (So there Google! Paid posts can be very well-thought-out and important!). My post about my grandparents on My Dogs Keep Me Sane is It's Long But Please Read This. My post about my grandparents on Misty's Words is For One You Love. I have other posts, funny posts or photography posts which people would enjoy more. However, those are the two posts which were most significant to me.


Today's Sunday Roast with Misty Dawn is the fourth in a weekly series of interviews with bloggers from around the world.

20 comments:

Misty DawnS said...

Thank you David. I don't know what else to say. I fell truly honored to be on the receiving end of your friendship - and then for you to honor me like this - I'm at a loss for words (Yes, that is quite rare)

Corey~living and loving said...

I look forward to checking out Misty's blogs. :)
once again David....this is so wonderful of you.
hugs!

Jeni said...

Although I hadn't read those two posts of Misty's (I have now), I did read a recent post she did about her grandfather. Compared to some of the others on my blog favorites list, she's a "newcomer" sort of, but I don't miss a post of hers now since I figured out how to use the "Google reader." I thoroughly enjoy reading her blog, and come away with my spirits lifted day after day. Great Roast, David and to Misty, you did a great job with the questions too!

Shrinky said...

A lovely, inspiring interview (smile). It is so good to be given an insight to the person behind the blog.

Monique said...

Lovely interview David and a lovely lady. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Akelamalu said...

Fab interview Misty. I already love your blog!

Daryl said...

I think I found Misty's blog(s) through the Sky Watch Friday posts .. and then again here when David highlighted her post about her grandfather which touched me deeply.

You are a wonderful writer and I enjoy your photos too, Misty ..

David, you are the bestest Den Mother in the world

Donna said...

Congratulations Miss Misty!! Wonderful blog!

Sandee said...

Very well done. I am a regular of Misty Dawn and I love her to pieces. Well worth the visit. Very well done. :)

Misty DawnS said...

Well, it's a good thing I'm typing right now and not speaking, because the amazingly kind things said here have caused tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat.

Every time I attempt to put into words what my online friends mean to me, the words fall short. I guess there simply are not words to express what you, my friends, mean to me. All I can say is thank you for blessing me with your friendships.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

What a lovely interview! Love the insights into blogging and...well...life!

Mom Knows Everything said...

Misty is such a wonderful person and an amazing writer! I am so happy that me and Misty have become best friends. If there is ever a person that I can count on it's Misty! She is always there for me and all her friends. I can't think of a better person for you to talk about then her.

The Egel Nest said...

I have been loving Misty Dawn's blog, and her beautiful puppy, for as long as she has been blogging :)

This was a great interview of a GREAT blogger!

Bradley
The Egel Nest

Unknown said...

Very nice interview.

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

I heart Misty Dawn! And her doggies! :-)

Bradley's Mom said...

I, too, am a big fan of Misty AND her blog!

GREAT job, David, as always!

Love to all!

Sandi McBride said...

I love getting to know the Blogger behind the Blog. It makes their words and works seem more tactile, their aura more visible. Thanks for the introduction to Misty David.
Sandi

OHmommy said...

Nice interview. She had some great answers "When you build it, they will come." How true! It takes work being a blogger, doesn't it?

Thanks David, for always featuring a new blog for me to read each week.

Craver Vii said...

I have only recently begun to see Misty's pictures, and they're great! It's cool to see a little about the person on the other side of the lens now.

Border Collies for sanity?? Who'd-a-thunk?

D... said...

I am happy to call Misty Dawn a buddy. She is wonderful! And her pics are lovely to view too. :D