Sunday, January 21, 2007

Crater Love Hath No Man Than This

On His Way To A Summit Meeting

Photograph copyright: AIJAZ QAIDER

This stunning photograph of sunrise at Mount Kilimanjaro's crater lobbed in my Inbox about an hour ago, part of a 7MB email that made me very appreciative of broadband. It was sent to me by a school friend of mine, Aijaz Qaider, who underplays his own camera skills, but consistently turns out some amazing work. In his own words ....
``Got past a Canadian team and arrived at Gilman’s Point (elevation 18,640 feet) at 6.00 a.m. amidst a glow of sunlight that left a golden aura upon the glaciers along the crater rim. After some clowning and a brief picture-taking session, I decided to push for the summit. I crossed a very steep and rocky outcrop that from photographs taken the day before appeared to be almost to be as high as the actual summit itself. I will not be surprised if this outcrop becomes the highest point of the crater once Kilimanjaro is devoid of snow between 2015 and 2020. ''

No comments: