Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Gizmo Machismo :)

Grammar? Ain't She Married To Grandpa?

Arizona technical writer Mignon Fogarty has done the unthinkable – she has turned grammar, of all things, into entertainment, or webtertainment, as the case may be. According to CNN, Fogarty, the woman behind Grammar Girl’s Quick And Dirty Tips For Better Writing, has been explaining the finer points of commas, colons and split infinitives since July and even weighed in on a dispute over apostrophes that divided the U.S. Supreme Court. Fogarty, 39, said she got the idea for the podcast, during a California vacation. "I was sitting in a coffee shop one day in Santa Cruz, California, on vacation and editing technical documents, because I work on vacation, and found so many grammar errors and it just hit me that grammar was something that I had expertise in that would lend itself to a short tip-based podcast," she said. The show is currently the 47th most popular podcast on Apple's iTunes service, right behind "Merriam-Webster's Word of the Day." It has been as high as number two, Fogarty said. She said the shows have been downloaded more than 1.3 million times.

2 comments:

Fletch said...

Thanks for the link. I was absolutely riveted with the website and spent far too long reading about grammatical rules.

On a positive note, I didn't realise that I already had most of the 'rules' memorised, thanks to the army of long-suffering English teachers in the various Anglo-Indian schools I attended!

The site is now bookmarked and will be a frequent stopping off point.

david mcmahon said...

El Tel,
I knew you'd like that.
You're right, though. Anyone with an Indian education (and what a peerless education it always is) has a great grasp of grammar.
Cheers
David