Saturday, January 27, 2007

Vintage Crop

An Event Not To Be Mist

Photograph copyright: MATHURES PAUL


This was one of two shots emailed to me overnight by Mathures Paul, one of the star reporters with `The Statesman' newspaper in Calcutta. Being a Calcuttan by birth, this picture struck a chord with me because it was taken at The Statesman Vintage & Classic Car Rally, one of the must-see events during the city's winter. This shot says it all. A dedicated owner dusts invisible specks off the paint surface of his car, but the key to the weather is on the left of the picture. A group of visitors appears like a ghostly image through the morning mist that is such a part of January in the city.
Now maybe someone can help me here. I noticed the stylised `S' on this car, which matches the typeface of the newspaper's masthead. I just wonder if it is the vintage car that was bought in 1970 by the popular `Junior Statesman' (the paper bought it from an army officer, if I remember correctly). That purchase was a key factor in introducing the Vintage Car Rally. Any clues, folks?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the Junior Statesman car. Before the rally begins, Mr Anand Sinha (of The Statesman) drives it around the Eastern Command Sports Stadium. Well, at least he did till two years back. Rest of the year, Nisarji (chief of transport) is responsible for its upkeep. I heard from Ratan Pradhan (page layout artist with JS and at present the chief designer) that some of the most known models of 1970s Calcutta were made to pose with the car during photo shoots for JS.
Mathures

david mcmahon said...

Hi mathures,
Great information. Thank you for checking.
I actually met Ratan Pradhan in October - it was a great privilege to catch up with him.
I didn't know that the best-known models had posed with the car.
Cheers
David

Anonymous said...

David, My friends and I had participated in the Statesman Car Rally in 1963( Ithink, could have been a year earlier or later)We won the prize for the Best Costume. My friend and I dressed as maharajas of old and our lady friends dressed as maharanis of years gone by. We were driving a 1927 Ford Model T, which my friend's uncle had "picked up" for around Rs 3000. The car kept breaking down as we drove. An unusual sight for the misty morning crowd to see two maharajas tinkering under the hood of an old car on Chowrangee(sorry, spelling) Road. I still have the heart shaped black Statesman plaque awarded to us at our home in Chicago. Good memories!

david mcmahon said...

Hi Jay,
Fascinated by your comment. The funny thing is that I actually remember the photograph - I think it as published either in The Statesman or in the JS, in their coverage of the rally.
Strange that after all these years I should find out it was you!
Also, it says a lot about my own choice of photography subjects that I remember that image - as you know, I love capturing quirky or unusual scenes - just like two maharajahs tinkering with a vintage car!
I shall forward your comment to Mathures, as well as a couple more people at The Statesman. I'm sure they would be very interested to know that you still have the plaque.
You (your royal highness!) could become a celebrity all over again!
Cheers
David