Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Pop Goes The Easel

You Could Say I Was A Bit Deflated

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON

This shot is for all of you who like a visual puzzle - like my friends and fellow photographers Allan Cook, Nirmal Ghosh, Mike Bruce, Cecilia Mercado and Siddharth Khandelwal. They all enjoy a picture that makes you think. So, any idea what this depicts? Balloons tied to a pine fence post. As you can tell, I thrive on shooting everyday sights from uncommon angles. I walked up to this one, intrigued by three balloons of similar size - orange, yellow and red. As I raised my camera, the red balloon deflated, presumably on a pine splinter. It didn't pop, it just shrank rapidly. There was my challenge. I had to get the shot with just enough of the subject to tell you what was in the picture, yet make it an intriguing sight. Did I succeed? You tell me ....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice, David! I realised they were balloons, but was trying to figure out what the small red one was. Thanks for the explanation..

cheers,
Cecilia

david mcmahon said...

Hi Cecilia,
Exactly my sentiments. It wouldn't have been such a good image if the red balloon had simply popped, leaving just a limp reminder of its presence. The fact that it is still sitting there, looking like Rudolph's nose, adds value to the shot - in my humble opinion!
Take care
David

Anonymous said...

Another very cool shot, David!

david mcmahon said...

Thanks Allan,
You've inspired me to seek shots that are `different' - after your comment on the zip-roll shot.
Cheers
David