Wednesday, January 31, 2007

One Talented Fokker

F-15 Pilot Wings It Onto The Runway

Even if Robert Ripley (of Believe It Or Not fame) had dreamed up this script, we might have deemed it implausible. But who would have thought a fighter aircraft could land safely with only one wing?
We’re not merely talking about losing a wingtip, mind you. In this amazing case, there is very little that remains outboard of the starboard wing root. Check out liveleak.com for a memorable film sequence that will completely change your perception about the way modern fighters are engineered and flown.
That said, I remember reading something by a Messerschmitt Me-109 pilot who described beautifully how he watched in amazement as his fighter continued albeit momentarily in level flight, even as its severed wing - sheared off at its lug nuts - literally flew alongside as a separate entity.
The F-15 in this film clip comes in on only one wing - and lots of prayers. If there are any fighter/ commercial pilots or aviation enthusiasts out there, leave a comment to let me know what you think.

FOOTNOTE: Thanks to C.K. Sharma in New Delhi for sending me this link.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Truly amazing! Speaks volumes for the plane and the pilot. Your title pun makes me wonder if the "F" in these planes stands for "Fighter" or "Fokker". (Or maybe just "Forget it." :-) ) -Sandip Madan

david mcmahon said...

Hi Sandip
FFFFFFFFForgive me if I confess I don't know the answer to that!
I'm glad you liked the blogpost title.
Well, the tiny bush airline in my novel `Vegemite Vindaloo' is also called `Dirty Fokker Flight Services'!
David

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.