Monday, August 20, 2007

In The Red Zone

Too Much Information? Not In This Case

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


This unusual sight caught my eye recently at the Australian Centre For the Moving Image, at Federation Square here in Melbourne. But I was up the top of the escalator, moving down, when I saw it. Luckily I had the camera on my shoulder, so I quickly switched it on, set it to automatic, composed the shot and just had time to shoot one frame. If the angle is not quite right (or NQR, as we call it here in Australia) just blame it on the face that I had to shoot it on a moving escalator while surrounded by other people. It wasn't just the colour of the sign that intrigued me; it was also the texture of the reinforced plastic, the corrugation on its surface and the reflection down the bottom.

Click here: Pentax K100D, Shutter speed 1/30, F5.6, ISO speed 800, no flash.

8 comments:

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Oh, that eye of yours, David.. smile.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Carol,

Glad you liked it. Yes, I am a bit, ahem, one-eyed when it comes to photography!

Keep smiling

David

dot said...

So you are a man who likes the bright lights?
Oh BTW, I couldn't help but laugh about some of the comments on my Rock City Barn today. It has nothing to do with music. lol If you get a chance go back and check out the link or just google Rock City Barns.

Ali said...

I love it, just love it. Fantastic shot, and considering you were on an esculator, you did well to capture it.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Dot,

Yes, in more ways than one. I'm a city slicker - and bright colours always catch my eye when I have my camera with me.

So I fell into the Rock City trap as well - must check out the link you gave us ....

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Ali,

Why, thank you kindly, ma'am. I was very happy with the shot - especially given the circumstances!

So glad you liked it.

Keep smiling

David

FHB said...

Missed a beautiful cloud formation the other day. Will always have the camera from now on.

david mcmahon said...

Okay FHB,

Will hold you to that!

Keep smiling

David