Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Bills, Clinton

This Is Not For The Saint-Hearted

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


It's pretty much standard procedure for me - blogger visits my site for the first time and, because I'm curious by nature, I return the visit. One of the curious facts of blogging is that people who comment on your site generally have a similar outlook. Have you noticed that? So it was that I checked out Rhea's The Boomer Chronicles last week and spent much more time there than I had planned. Among the many gems is Boston becomes Italy for a few days, with a picture of a figure of Saint Agrippina.

I had a very religious upbringing, but I'd never heard of her, even though she is the patron saint of thunderstorms, leprosy and evil spirits. Rhea points out that the figure of the saint is paraded all around the city's North End and people attach dollar bills to her.

Yes, Reah, I have the same problem. People keep pinning bills on me too. Not $100 bills. Not $20 bills. Not even $5 bills. No, I'm talking phone bills, rates bills, electricity bills. Surely all you good people empathise? You do, don’t you?!!

19 comments:

b. said...

More than I care to......bills, bills, and more bills.

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

The Boomer Chronicles has been a favorite of mine for almost 2 years now. Rhea offers good tips to us "boomers", especially those of us lucky enough to be retired.

Thanks for recognizing her blog.

Anonymous said...

Oh I just love The Boomer chronicles...you never know what will turn up on one of her blog posts!! ;)

Craver Vii said...

I have an uncle who likes to eat pork and beans. He's a big guy. For some odd reason, I always thought HE was the patron saint of thunderstorms...

Anonymous said...

I thought the leprosy thing was a joke. But who would make a joke about St. Agrippina?

robkroese said...

I'm afraid as an American I can only empathize. Sorry.

FHB said...

Yep, the damn bill never stop. Some times I envy the homeless, who never have to worry about making a morgage payment, but I guess they have all sorts of other concerns. The water always looks better in another persons pond, unless you're very, very lucky.

Mega said...

Oh very, very clever play of words (the "bill" part at the end). Its like you stole a page outta my book sir =)

BRUNO said...

Ah, yes---the Great Equalizer! BILLS!!! At least once a month, we ALL are "brothers in debt", regardless where we live!

If ya' ever feel you're not needed anymore, just wait 'till the end of the month, you suddenly become quite valuable, indeed!

(I don't do serious too well, do I? Maybe I should stick with abnormal...)

david mcmahon said...

Hi B,

We should ban them for a year!

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

G;day Mushy,

I've been enjoying Rhea's blog. Very funny comment from FHB - he said I;m a ``clearing house'' for good writing.

I'll wear that with pride....

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Danielle,

And as you can see by the comment on your blog, I really enjoyed your site as well.

Thanks for dropping by. Do keep in touch.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Craver,

You, my friend, should be writing comedy in Hollywood. That comment had me clutching at my sides ....

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

G'day Rhea,

Not me! I'm all for reverence ...

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

G'day Diesel,

Your empathy means everything to me. Seriously ...

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

G'day FHB,

That notion of the homeless has really, er, hit home!

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

G'day Dan,

Why, thank you, sir. There are many pages I;d like to borrow from your book.

May I? Shall I get my people to talk to your people?

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Bruno,

I reckon you certainly DO do serious very well. Just like you do semi-serious and jocular.

I always enjoy your comments.

Keep smiling

David

Victorya said...

funny thing about those bills, you don't pay them they don't go away. BUT, if you don't pay them you get to talk to a real person who calls YOU instead of when you need to contact someone (say, the telephone company for bad service) where you talk to a robot and then get accidently disconnected.

It's a toss up.