Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Wrestle With This Concept

Relax, They'll Do You No Arm



My American buddy Bart recently did an interview where one of the questions was: ``Do you think you could defeat David McMahon in a spirited game of thumb wars?''

Funny thing is, that question took me right back to The Yukon, on a travel-writing trip I made in 1999. There I was in the Gateway Lounge at Haines Junction on the Alaska Highway, when I was introduced to a unique type of wrestling ....

A bloke called Rich walked over to where we sat. He's about the size of a barn door. And I'm talking B I G barn. He admires my MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground) cap, asking me to toss it across the table to him. You don't mess with a bloke that size, so I just pass it over. He holds it admiringly, touching the gold letters on it and tracing the embroidered outline of the famous sporting venue.

"I collect caps," he announces. Somehow I find the courage to tell him that he'll have to wait until I get home and mail him one. He thinks about this for a moment, then decides he can trust me. He passes it back and says enthusiastically, "You do that and I'll send you a really good Yukon cap." To set the seal on our undying friendship, he offers to introduce me to squaw wrestling.

Excuse me? Squaw wrestling? I have this mental picture of being forced to fight him for a woman and I look for a dark corner of the Lounge. But Rich pulls one of his mates into the spotlight.

"Here, we'll show you what squaw wrestling is all about." He and his mate lie flat on their backs, their heads pointing in opposite directions. On the count of three, they both raise their right legs as each contestant tries to pin the other down. No contest. Rich has his mate pinned in a couple of seconds. His mate is a woman called Deb. We get the distinct impression she is very disappointed with her form.

It is my turn. The hopes and fears of our great nation rest on my shoulders. We line up and I formulate the perfect plan I'll go for his hamstring. One, two, three. I swing up and even before I can swivel, Rich has me pinned. Time elapsed: about half a second. Deb looks a bit happier now.

Determined to advance Australia's reputation, I offer to take on Rich at arm wrestling. We sit down opposite each other and I put my right arm on the table." Ah, my right hand is a bit busted. We'll do it left-handed if that's OK with you," he says.

It's OK with me. This is a far better contest and at one stage it looks as though Australia is about to make a big comeback before Canada makes it 2-0. Much later in the day, I surmise that I have probably been had. The next time I see Rich, I'll ask him if he's left-handed.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great story David.:)
It reminded me of the strange type of wrestling portrayed in an Eskimo film I saw a while ago called "Atanarjuat - The Fast Runner".

It must be a terrific experience to travel to places which are not the usual tourist destinations. Oh lucky you!

dot said...

Funny story! I bet that would have been fun to watch.

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

That piktcher is a bit scary, eevn fer a feroshus Bear, an I mite show it to Mummy as proof that I don't haff to eet spinnidge.

Anonymous said...

Great story, David! Of course you know that there's no such thing as "Squaw Wrestling"? He was just pulling your leg!

(Ha ha!)

david mcmahon said...

Hi WFW,

Lovely to hear from you. Yes, it was a terrific experience. I have had a very fortunate life, personally and professionally and I do stop to acknowledge that fact often.

You just reminded me of an Eskimo story my mother used to read to me when I was little. Must see if I can find it.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Dot,

Always funny to see a big fella six foot three, get cut down to size!

I don;t think I ever got defeated so comprehensively in my entire life!

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi BTBear,

Spinach is essential for bears, especially ``feroshus'' bears like you.

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Allan and Tammy,

Great to hear from you. Hope you;re enjoying the great weather in Muskoka.

He certainly was pulling my leg, hamstring and all!

A great experience in a great country....

Keep smiling

David

Lin said...

I love your personal stories the best of all! This one sounded like an out-take from Deliverance (have had a few of those myself in my travels).

As the Major from Fawlty Towers once said "Hmmm ... clever people those Canadians."

skinnylittleblonde said...

LOL...a version of the Indian Wrestling we did as kids.

Berni said...

Great Canadian story. Thanks. Did you send him the cap?

david mcmahon said...

Hi Lin,

Thank you, ma'am. You were the one who told me you liked them, which is why I try and post 'em regularly.

My thanks, again

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi SLB,

Yes, that's right - and I've never been pinned so quickly!

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Vic,

I'm hanging my head in shame. The cap was a limited-edition MCG souvenir, but I should have done the right thing and sent him an Australian cap anyway.

Okay, I know the bloke who runs the hotel (The Raven) on the other side of the road (The Alaska Highway) so I'll find out if Rich still lives there and send him a cap .....

Keep smiling

David

RUTH said...

One of our new son in laws boasted profusely about his arm wrestling wins. I said "I'll challenge you after I've finished what I'm doing" and went off to the kitchen. Mick (hubby) took S. to one side and warned him that I'd a special technique and that no one had ever beaten me(all fibs). He said many a guy at our local pub had been totally deflated at being beaten by a woman(more fibs). I came back in, sleeves rolled up ready for action. S. feigned a strained elbow and said we'd have to do it another day. That was 10 years ago....to this day he's never taken up the challenge and to my knowledge still thinks I'm some sort of arm wrestling champ!

Alex L said...

I dont arm wrestle anymore ever since i saw a video of a guys arm snapping at the elbow... not a happy site. But I can agree with Rich few things beat a good cap, mines nice and worn in a bit tattered but now it has character.