Sunday, August 05, 2007

Nice River, Phoenix

A Night In Shining Armour

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


I'm full of admiration for those photographers who spend hours or days waiting for the one perfect shot. But as a full-time journalist and father, I don't have that sort of time on my hands. This shot, taken on Friday, is the perfect example of why I always have my camera with me. I was at a traffic intersection after taking an exit off the Monash Freeway - when I noticed that the night-time reflections looked almost metallic on the Yarra River. I knew I only had about 30 or 40 seconds before the lights turned green.

With my right hand I hit the button to lower the passenger-side window. With my left I grabbed the camera bag. I only had time to compose and shoot one quick, hand-held frame when I should have really been using a tripod.

I concentrated on the reflection - which is why you can see the blur on the traffic that was moving on the other side of the Yarra. Not perfect, by any means - but it shows that you can take a photograph in the blink of an eye, if your camera is within arm's reach.

Click here: Pentax K100D, Shutter speed 1/1, F5.6, ISO speed 800.

8 comments:

~**Dawn**~ said...

Sometimes a photo's "imperfections" are what makes it perfect.
I'm the same way. Camera always within reach. Seems the few times it hasn't been have been the times I've kicked myself.

Les Becker said...

I think it's the blur that "makes" this shot, too. It looks almost like a neon watercolour.

singleton said...

They look like neon tiki torches....dancing....

karoline in the morning said...

luv the colors and the ripple motion..very dramatic i think...

and when i leave my camera at home, i encounter the best photo opportunities around..

lol

goodjob david..
k

david mcmahon said...

Hi Dawn,

Yes, you echoed my feelings perfectly. And it's a rule that you see a great photo opportunity every time you've left yoour camera behind!

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi les,

Thank you. And that's such a great description, too.

Merci

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Singleton,

Neon tiki torches. Lovely description. Thank you

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Thank you, Karoline,

There was just a light breeze, so the ripple effect was what caught my attention!

Keep smiling

David