Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Bananarama Drama

Peels, Sir, Can I Have Some More?

A British primary school has been branded "over the top" after banning bananas because a teacher is allergic to them. Plymouth City Council will ask officers to investigate the ban at Stoke Damerel Primary School. Council officials advised the school in 2007 to ask pupils not to bring bananas in because the allergy was potentially life-threatening.

FOOTNOTE: Fruitless.

13 comments:

Breeze said...

My daughter attended a play school where the director was allergic to bananas. We couldn't send them for snacks and we had to inform them if our child had eaten bananas before attending the class because the director had experienced an anaphalactic episode and nearly died after a baby spit up her banana babyfood and the director was exposed while cleaning it up. She was very sensitive to them.

So yeah, life threatening, why not ban? Bananas aren't that important are they?

Breeze

City Girl said...

Fruitless, indeed!

lakeviewer said...

Please, a teacher knows how to avoid her own allergies. It's funny, though.

Brian Miller said...

assault with a deadly weapon the note from the school read, in explanation for the suspension. oh my!

Ananda girl said...

My daughter is allergic to milk and though it does not kill her, it makes her go completely deaf!

Allergies are strange things.

Jen said...

We had that at my old school, where I worked, except it was peanuts, not bananas.

One kid out of sixteen hundred had a severe peanut allergy, so all nuts were banned for everyone.

Nuts, hunh?

Maggie May said...

Peanuts is the banned food over here!

Maria-Thérèse said...

How can that be over the top?
I have a very dangerous allergy as well. In one school they were really careful and told everyone but not at the other I worked at and I became very ill. There are SO many other fruits etc - is it really that hard to avoid ONE of them so a person doesn't have to die?

willow said...

Yes, we have no bananas.

Crystal Jigsaw said...

I was a bit shocked when I read this and started thinking Health & Safety gone mad as per. But then I read Breeze's comment and thought again. I can definitely see two sides to this now.

CJ xx

Southern Drawl said...

I know it sounds crazy but an anaphylactic reaction is nothing to play with...

Eddie Bluelights said...

I think the teacher was a banana addict.
She confiscated all the bananas from the kids and at the end of the day had a banana binge and got indigestion. She fully deserves to trip up on all the banana skins.
Poor kids!

Shrinky said...

Hubby had a severe anaphylaptic shock which stopped his heart beating, he now carries an epi-pen eveywhere he goes as he has been told the next one may kill him.

It happened immediately after we had an anniverary lunch together, and had we not been in a black cab at the time, able to rush straight to A&E, he would not have survived.

Here's the rub.. despite a complete breakdown of ingrediants from the restaurant, and hours and hours spent at Guys hospital - we STILL don't know what he allergic to. Scary, huh?