Saturday, August 04, 2007

May Day, May Day

Queen Guitarist Hands In Thesis (36 Years Late)

You dawdled over your thesis? No worries at all, mate. Queen guitarist Brian May has only just handed in his astronomy PhD thesis - 36 years after abandoning it to join the band! May recently carried out observational work in Tenerife, where he studied the formation of "zodiacal dust clouds". The subject forms the basis of a 48,000-word thesis for Imperial College, London, where 60-year-old May studied before becoming a rock star. As he handed it over to Imperial's head of astrophysics Professor Paul Nandra, May said, "It's been the longest gap year ever."

For details about Brian May's connection with Covent Garden, We Will Rock You and Canadian Idol, go to The Independent.

11 comments:

John said...

I'll bet his professor had a "Sheer Heart Attack"!

Alex L said...

I was a far better student, handed in everything on time... just wish I could play the guitar now

Sam said...

well.. i never!! 36 years!!!!! amazing!! speechless to be honest!!

Merisi said...

Frankly, I admire him. Astrophysics, that's not English Literature, after all! :-)

david mcmahon said...

G'day whodatdare,

Nice line. I wish I'd thought of it before you!

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Pope Terry,

Time for you to face the music!

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Sam,

I'm sure the college faculty members were speechless too!

Keep smiling

David

david mcmahon said...

Hi Merisi,

Like you, I take my hat off to him.

Keep smiling

David

Bart said...

I still think it awesome that he built his own guitar, including wrapping the coil for the magnets of his pickups.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Bart-Man,

Are you serious? I didn;tknow that. Now that's some pretty serious talent.

Keep smiling

David

Brian in Oxford said...

And I thought it was Ziggy Stardust who played guitar....